* Did you really measure that dir/a/ab/abcdef012345678.png is significantly
faster than dir/abcdef012345678.png and I should make math mode use this
trick too or you were just guessing and I can ignore that ?
Re: TeX, version 5 [ In reply to ]
--- Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Open questions:
> * How to put TeX in safe mode ?

In tetex's texmf.cnf
# Don't execute user's shell code:
shell_escape = f

# Don't openout "dot" files or files with absolute paths
openout_any = p

Many distributions use these settings by default. In addition, TeX and
the other tools should be run as some nobody user and chroot'ed.

Axel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Re: TeX, version 5 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 05:14:56PM -0800, Axel Boldt wrote:
> --- Tomasz Wegrzanowski <taw@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > Open questions:
> > * How to put TeX in safe mode ?
>
> In tetex's texmf.cnf
> # Don't execute user's shell code:
> shell_escape = f
>
> # Don't openout "dot" files or files with absolute paths
> openout_any = p
>
> Many distributions use these settings by default.

Is it enough ?
Mine says:

% Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
% (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
% a (any) : any file can be opened.
% r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
% p (paranoid) : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
% restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
openout_any = p
openin_any = a

So it would be able to leak lot of informations if it broke restrictions
placed by texvc.

> In addition, TeX and
> the other tools should be run as some nobody user and chroot'ed.

I'm paranoid so it sounds like a good idea to me.
What do Wikipedia admins think about that ?