Mailing List Archive

Fwd: Personal categories.
Forward of a message by Ec that was submitted to Wikipedia-L (IMO a great set
of ideas)

Daniel Mayer wrote:
>Somebody else had the idea of creating different types of /useful/
> categories such as Wikipedians who have knowledge of certain subjects. I
> think this a great idea that should be integrated with the Wikipedia:Help
> Desk page along with the Wikipedians page. These types of categories are
> useful because they further goals of the project.

In conjunction with this, I believe it was Larry who wanted some sort of
article subject classification. Tying these two ideas together with the
recent changes page. Each article could have a few boxes where the
writer could enter category codes. The Wikipedians who are interested
in that category (i.e. potential editors) could enter themselves on the
category list for that code, or perhaps enter a list of these codes in
their preferences. Recent changes could as a default function as it
does now, but could optionally provide a categorized list based on one
or more of the codes in the person's preferences.

Thus if we were to use the Library of Congress letter classifications
(which has the benefit of being usable without reinventing the wheel)
all articles concerned with mathematics would receive a "QA" code. A
person interested in mathematics could add the "QA" code to his
preferences, and on request would be able to receive a list of the
recent changes in articles about mathematics. Having several boxes
associated with an article, allows for the fact that some articles may
be relevant to more than one category. An article on mathematical
applications in psychology would have both a "QA" and a "BF" code.

Is this technically feasible?

Eclecticology