Talk page | Subject page
History
What links here
Watch links
--------------------
Upload
Bug reports
Special pages

The links are perfectly OK, but I have problems with the words used and
sometimes with the positioning. I suggest the following sidebar:

Main Page
Recent changes
My watchlist
Random page
Current events
--------------------
Edit this page
Watch this page
Move this page
Discuss this page | View article
Older versions
What links here?
Link history
--------------------
Upload file
Special pages
Bug reports

Explanations:
- "Watch list" should be "My watchlist" to make clear that this is not a
page that is the same for all users, like the other links in this
section of the sidebar.
- "Talk page" should be "Discuss this page" to use the same imperative
style of the other links above it. Since users don't have to create
"/Talk" links anymore, it's not necessary that we use the actual word
"Talk" anywhere but in the URLs.
- "Subject page" should be "View article" or "Back to article". "Subject
page" is really ambiguous and hard to understand, I searched several
times for a way back to the article because I didn't find an obvious
link.
- "History" should be "Older versions" or "Page history" to be more
obvious. Most people are not familiar with the concept of article
histories.
- "What links here" needs a questionmark.
- "Watch links" should be "Link history", "Related changes" or something
else. "Watch links" suggests that this will add the links to my
watchlist, which it doesn't do.
- Upload should be "Upload file". True, a bit redundant, but more
familiar this way.
- Bug reports should be at the bottom as this is the least relevant.

Your thoughts? I'll be glad to patch this, although it should be easy
enough for someone with CVS access to do it on their own.

Regards,

Erik
--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Improving sidebar [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:

>- "What links here" needs a questionmark.
>
>Your thoughts? I'll be glad to patch this, although it should be easy
>enough for someone with CVS access to do it on their own.

While we're at it, could we have "What links here" appear in red when
the article is an orphan?
Eclecticology