Mailing List Archive

Timeouts and lags
Brion wrote:

>Saving verrryyyy llloonnnggg pages seems to precipitate this. I just
>cropped off the upload log ([[Wikipedia:Upload log]]) from several
>gazillion lines each with two links, and it took a few minutes to
>finish saving, blocking the database until it was done.

Could it be that updating the link tables (links, brokenlinks and
imagelinks) takes a long time? Are these tables properly indexed?

Axel

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
Re: Timeouts and lags [ In reply to ]
Axel Boldt wrote:
> Brion wrote:
>>Saving verrryyyy llloonnnggg pages seems to precipitate this. I just
>>cropped off the upload log ([[Wikipedia:Upload log]]) from several
>>gazillion lines each with two links, and it took a few minutes to
>>finish saving, blocking the database until it was done.
>
> Could it be that updating the link tables (links, brokenlinks and
> imagelinks) takes a long time? Are these tables properly indexed?

The link updating (LinksUpdate.php) does up to five queries on page save:

DELETE FROM links WHERE l_from='{$t}'
INSERT INTO links (l_from,l_to) VALUES {very long list}
DELETE FROM brokenlinks WHERE bl_from={$this->mId}
INSERT INTO brokenlinks (bl_from,bl_to) VALUES {very long list}
DELETE FROM brokenlinks WHERE bl_to='{$t}'

Hmm, I notice that l_from contains the title as text. Wouldn't it be
more efficient to use the ID? You can't have links from nonexistent
articles, after all.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)