Mailing List Archive

mailing list software
I have installed mailman on the new server to server the wikipedia
lists. More specifically, someone requested a list "francais-l" be
added to the nupedia domain, but I found that a list by that name is
already in use for Nupedia's purposes, so I made it
francais-l@wikipedia.org instead. So, we now have the ability to make
any wikipedia lists point to wikipedia.org...

So, my question is this: On the old scheme, we prefixed the list name
with 'wiki' to indicate that it was for wikipedia. As I copy the old
lists to the new server, should I convert the list-names as well? I
think not, but I thought I should ask.

Also, are these the only wikipedia lists? I think they are.

Intlwiki-l
Wikitech-l
Wikipedia-l
WikiNL-l

And I think this begs another question. The Dutch list is WikiNL, and
the french list is francais-l (though this new list is not yet
public). Should we go with a standardized naming scheme on the
language-specific (or is it country-specific?) lists. Should I change
francais-l to wikiFR-l?

Jason

--
"Jason C. Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com>
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
On 10/24/02 2:48 PM, "Jason Richey" <jasonr@bomis.com> wrote:

> I have installed mailman on the new server to server the wikipedia
> lists. More specifically, someone requested a list "francais-l" be
> added to the nupedia domain, but I found that a list by that name is
> already in use for Nupedia's purposes, so I made it
> francais-l@wikipedia.org instead. So, we now have the ability to make
> any wikipedia lists point to wikipedia.org...
>
> So, my question is this: On the old scheme, we prefixed the list name
> with 'wiki' to indicate that it was for wikipedia. As I copy the old
> lists to the new server, should I convert the list-names as well? I
> think not, but I thought I should ask.
>
> Also, are these the only wikipedia lists? I think they are.
>
> Intlwiki-l
> Wikitech-l
> Wikipedia-l
> WikiNL-l
>
> And I think this begs another question. The Dutch list is WikiNL, and
> the french list is francais-l (though this new list is not yet
> public). Should we go with a standardized naming scheme on the
> language-specific (or is it country-specific?) lists. Should I change
> francais-l to wikiFR-l?

The most important thing is to think about moving to a BBS-style system.
Naming conventions aren't terribly important, but I think the
"francais-l@wikipedia.org" convention is nice.

It's certainly better to have the wikipedia lists have wikipedia addresses.
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
Jason Richey wrote:

>[cut]
>
>And I think this begs another question. The Dutch list is WikiNL, and

I chose the name WikiNL-l for that list because in the same style which
as the other lists (Inlwiki-l and Wikitech-l). If for each the format
WikiXX-l is used you get a shorter and easy e-mail address whit the
same format. (not a long like "nederlands-l@wikipedia.org"), By its use
of the language code it simple to the link between that list and the
url of that wikipedia. And especially, if you want in a text to refer
to the maillinglist it is uglier to for saying "english-l" or
"nederlands-l" this whereas something like as WikiNL-l sounds better.

I say, make the lists in the format wikiXX-l and give those wikipedias
control over them. Then the can make what want them of it.

Giskart
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]

Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]

Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
"Jason Richey" skribis:

> Also, are these the only wikipedia lists? I think they are.
>
> Intlwiki-l
> Wikitech-l
> Wikipedia-l
> WikiNL-l

Deutsch-l@nupedia.com was originally used by the
german translation team of Nupedia, but now is
used by the german wikipedists. I think, it should
be converted, too.

It would be nice if also the esperanto-wiki
could get a list (know we are (not) using
a yahoogroups-list).

Paul
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
I've had a few responses, and I think this is my plan:

I'll name lists as (in the case of the french list) wikiFR-l, where FR
is the language code of the list. Then, I can optionally add an alias
that directs mail sent to "francais-l@wikipedia.org" through the list
as well. Only the official name, "wikiFR-l@wikipedia.org" would be
mentioned in the list settings, but people who are accustomed to
sending mail to deutsch-l@nupedia.com may be more apt to send to
deutsch-l@wikipedia.org than to wikiDE@wikipedia.org...

Jason

Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
Jason Richey wrote:
> Intlwiki-l
> Wikitech-l
> Wikipedia-l
> WikiNL-l
>
> And I think this begs another question. The Dutch list is WikiNL, and
> the french list is francais-l (though this new list is not yet
> public). Should we go with a standardized naming scheme on the
> language-specific (or is it country-specific?) lists. Should I change
> francais-l to wikiFR-l?

I think consistency is good. I think we should not change the names of the existing
lists. I think that we should ultimately make wikipedia-l@nupedia.com an alias for
the real and preferred name of the list, which would be wikipedia-l@wikipedia.com.

--Jimbo
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]

You surely mean wikipedia-l@wikipedia.org?
Re: mailing list software [ In reply to ]
Augh, yes of course! Everything .org is the wave of the future.

Now I have to teach my fingers.