Mailing List Archive

HTML versus Wiki-tags
HTML versus Wiki-makeup

I see that more and more people are use Wiki-makeup and removing HTML tags.
But i like to use HTML-tags.

Is there, from a technical point of view any difference between the folowing notations;

= Foobar = (-> This does not seems to work)
<h1>Foobar</h1>

== Foobar ==
<h2>Foobar</h2>

=== Foobar ===
<h3> Foobar </h3>

==== Foobar ====
<h4>Foobar</h4>

''Foobar''
<em>Foobar</em>

(and not:<i>Foobar</i>)

'''Foobar'''
<strong>Foobar</strong>

(and not:<b>Foobar</b>)

'''''Foobar'''''

----
<hr>

Giskart
Re: HTML versus Wiki-tags [ In reply to ]
> I see that more and more people are use Wiki-makeup
> and removing HTML tags. But I like to use HTML-tags.
> Is there, from a technical point of view any difference
> between the folowing notations;

> == Foobar ==
> (h2)Foobar(/h2)

Wiki markup is preferred because a good Wikipedia article
is not only useful to read, but easy to edit. We want non-
compter nerds to be able to easily edit and add to topics
in which they are interested. Also, I still have a long-
term plan of eliminating most HTML for security reasons.

I also treat Wiki markup specially in the software in a
few places; for example == Foobar == will cause a page
to be ranked higher in a search for "Foobar", but the
equivalent HTML tag will not.
Re: HTML versus Wiki-tags [ In reply to ]
LDC wrote:

>Giskart wrote:

>>I see that more and more people are use Wiki-makeup
>>and removing HTML tags. But I like to use HTML-tags.
>>Is there, from a technical point of view any difference
>>between the folowing notations;

>>== Foobar ==
>><h2>Foobar</h2>

>Wiki markup is preferred because a good Wikipedia article
>is not only useful to read, but easy to edit. We want non-
>compter nerds to be able to easily edit and add to topics
>in which they are interested. Also, I still have a long-
>term plan of eliminating most HTML for security reasons.

The security issue should be a separate concern.
We can allow "<h2>...</h2>" as wiki markup
without allowing "<span onmouseover="...">...</span>".
I do agree that "==" is better, however,
and we should make wiki markup look like HTML markup
only for rarely used but supported features (like <strike>)
and as a deprecated alternative for newbies' sakes.

>I also treat Wiki markup specially in the software in a
>few places; for example == Foobar == will cause a page
>to be ranked higher in a search for "Foobar", but the
>equivalent HTML tag will not.

I've also suggested treating the rendering of "=" markup in HTML
analogously to how we treat its rendering for numbered headers:
the shortest string of '='s will always be <h2>,
even if it happens to be the currently deprecated "===".
But then "<h3>" could still be used to force an <h3> tag in the HTML.
Although this proposal got little response and is unlikely to happen,
the point is that some variation is possible, and might be desirable,
for certain purposes.

-- Toby