--
FOKUS - Fraunhofer Insitute for Open Communication Systems
Project BerliOS - http://www.berlios.de
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 22 October 2002 07:10, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the auto-bot on WP is really messing up the RC file. I think it
> shouldn't be too hard to put a filter interface for admins in there,
> making it easy to filter changes by specific users. (This probably will
> come up again.) I'm ready to write this if there's interest from the
> maintainers. I'm aware of the potential problems (filtered users could
> abuse the system), but this would only be done for trustworthy users,
> and there are remedies (check user contributions etc.).

Sounds good. I think the cutoff frequency should be 1 per minute. I suggest
C=1µF and R=17K.

phma
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 22 October 2002 07:48, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> Sounds good. I think the cutoff frequency should be 1 per minute. I suggest
> C=1µF and R=17K.

Oops, got the formula upside down - make that 1 megohm and 60 microfarad.
That would still hide Ram-Man, who just made 9 edits in 6 minutes.

phma
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
Pierre,

I wasn't referring to filtering by posting frequency but to filtering by
user ID. Filtering by frequency would affect malicious trolls as well,
which we obviously don't want. I have no clue where microfarads come
into play, I was thinking about a software-based solution ;-).

Regards,

Erik
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:
> I wasn't referring to filtering by posting frequency but to filtering by
> user ID. Filtering by frequency would affect malicious trolls as well,
> which we obviously don't want. I have no clue where microfarads come
> into play, I was thinking about a software-based solution ;-).

More generally, it might be interesting to have a whitelist/blacklist
system where you can choose to show _only_ edits by a set of people or
_everything but_ edits by some set of people.

Thus, you can filter out known contributors to do spot checks for newbie
formatting problems or vandalism, or show just edits by people you think
you'd be interested in what they had to say.

Er, random thought anyway.

As far as the double-click patch -- was there any general agreement on
using it? I seem to remember a mention of conflict with standard browser
behavior (dblclick = selection)....? It's kind of a cute feature, I
wouldn't mind it if there's consensus.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 22 October 2002 10:13, Erik Moeller wrote:
> Pierre,
>
> I wasn't referring to filtering by posting frequency but to filtering by
> user ID. Filtering by frequency would affect malicious trolls as well,
> which we obviously don't want. I have no clue where microfarads come
> into play, I was thinking about a software-based solution ;-).

"RC filter" to an electrical engineer means a filter made of a resistor and a
capacitor.

phma
Re: Quick RC filter? [ In reply to ]
Am Die, 2002-10-22 um 22.05 schrieb Brion VIBBER:

> More generally, it might be interesting to have a whitelist/blacklist
> system where you can choose to show _only_ edits by a set of people or
> _everything but_ edits by some set of people.

I agree, I'll see what I can come up with.

> As far as the double-click patch -- was there any general agreement on
> using it? I seem to remember a mention of conflict with standard browser
> behavior (dblclick = selection)....? It's kind of a cute feature, I
> wouldn't mind it if there's consensus.

Oh, that's not a problem, the patch creates an option in the user prefs,
and we can leave it turned off by default. It's true that if you turn it
on, double clicking a word to select it no longer works, but I know
relatively few people who do that (some browsers allow you to quickly
search Google etc. for the selected phrase), which is why I would prefer
turning it on by default after it's been in use for a few weeks.

Regards,

Erik