Mailing List Archive

deletion of old revisions
How do I delete old revisions? We have some former copyright violations
that have been (or are beeing) rewritten now. But the old revisions
should be deleted, I think.

Kurt
Re: deletion of old revisions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 16:28, Kurt Jansson wrote:
> How do I delete old revisions? We have some former copyright violations
> that have been (or are beeing) rewritten now. But the old revisions
> should be deleted, I think.

Let's not. See

http://meta.wikipedia.com/wiki.phtml?title=Avoid+Copyright+Paranoia

Think about google for a second. It stores copies of pages. But Google
isn't worried about copyright infringement because it doesn't try to
present those copies in any infringing way.

It's not copyright infringement to store a copy. It's copyright
infringement to design your site such that the intentional use is to
display copies. Since the intentional use of Wikipedia is the
publication of the latest version of the entries, if the latest version
of the entry has improperly copied material, that's possible
infringement.

Copies buried in earlier revisions do not infringement make.

We can potentially make revisions with copyrighted material more
private, but we don't need to purge them from the system.