Mailing List Archive

bugs and missing features in the conversion script of the German WP
There are quite some bug reports in
http://de-beta.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Wikipedia:Beobachtete_Fe
hler
now. Most should be easy to fix, some might already be known from the
english WP, but what I think is most important are the bugs in the
conversion script. So I translated these:

* The conversion of article titles didn't work. So many articles are now
in http://de-beta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial%3ALonelypages (e.g. [[Brian
De Palma]] should have been converted to [[Brian de Palma]]).

* /Talk-pages should have been converted into the Diskussion:-namespace
(like the /Diskussion-pages). It didn't work, but a "See also: " (should
be: "Siehe auch:") has been inserted.

* I thought all old revisions since beginning of the German WP should
have been integrated into the database. Or is it better to do this
later?

* Not very important: The Link to the Diskussion-namespace should be
[[Diskussion:... instead of [[diskussion:... - easy to fix :-)

The first three have already been mentioned on the old test site on
http://test-de.wikipedia.com/wiki/wikipedia%3ABug+report
Did anybody ever take a look at it?
There has also been some discussion about how to name the German
user-namespace, and we ended up with "Wikipedianer:". "namespaces"
should not be translated to "Namensräume", but to "Verwandte Seiten".

Kurt
Re: bugs and missing features in the conversion script of the German WP [ In reply to ]
Kurt Jansson wrote:
> * The conversion of article titles didn't work. So many articles are now
> in http://de-beta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial%3ALonelypages (e.g. [[Brian
> De Palma]] should have been converted to [[Brian de Palma]]).

Whoever did the conversion (Lee? Magnus?), what exactly did you run? For
Usemode-to-phase II conversion there is a *separate* script
(recaseLinks.php) that does the renaming/case correction, which is to be
run after importing the data into MySQL.

> * /Talk-pages should have been converted into the Diskussion:-namespace
> (like the /Diskussion-pages). It didn't work, but a "See also: " (should
> be: "Siehe auch:") has been inserted.
>
> * I thought all old revisions since beginning of the German WP should
> have been integrated into the database. Or is it better to do this
> later?

The usemod wikis are configured to destroy old items in the edit
histories after a few weeks. For some reason, no one's ever paid any
attention whenever I've pointed this out on the mailing lists.

Unless someone has regular backups going back to the beginning and wants
to figure out how to paste them together, they're gone.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: bugs and missing features in the conversion scriptof the German WP [ In reply to ]
> > * I thought all old revisions since beginning of the German WP
should
> > have been integrated into the database. Or is it better to do this
> > later?
>
> The usemod wikis are configured to destroy old items in the edit
> histories after a few weeks. For some reason, no one's ever paid any
> attention whenever I've pointed this out on the mailing lists.
>
> Unless someone has regular backups going back to the beginning and
wants
> to figure out how to paste them together, they're gone.

Aaaaaaargh!!!

That's really sad. I remember that there was a discussion about this
long ago. :-(

Kurt