Mailing List Archive

About a formal syntax for Wikipedia.
I've been thinking a little about writing a formal syntax for the Wikipedia
contents, and now have a question. If I understand the code correctly the
parts between <nowiki> tags are completely left alone, no matter what HTML
we find betwen them (Javascript, illegal HTML or whatever). My first
question is (1) is that what we want? and (2) if not should then the formal
grammar describe what the code is doing now or what it should be doing?

As far as (1) is concerned I would like it if we would guarantee that our
output is always valid and well-formed HTML4 without any scripting. As far
as (2) my first inclination would be to let the grammar describe what the
code is doing at the moment since that is probably needed anyway, and then
we can start discussing what it actually should be doing.

-- Jan Hidders