the "Go" button. (Also, above that, the "Main Page" and "Recent Changes" links
have the logo on top of them.)

The features "under" the logo are all functional, it just looks ugly.
Re: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
Magnus Manske wrote:
> Why would anyone read wikipedia in a window 400 pixels wide when a single
> click can make it 800? You can "uglify" most web pages that way.

Sure! But, for me, that isn't the issue. I'm at 1024x768, a pretty normal setting. I
am not putting my window to any strange size, either.

I have to say, though, that if this is a Mozilla-only problem, we don't need to worry
a lot about it.

Some will say, and I have sympathy for them, that they like to run a 400 pixel wide
browser so that they can have two things going at the same time. I don't operate that
way, but some people do. So maybe we should care a little about them, someday.

> As for the "Random Page" issue, I tried from work and from home, with and
> without proxy, on beta.wikipedia.com and on Lee's piclab server, but I
> couldn't reproduce the effect. I get another random page every time. And I
> don't have any "fancy settings" in my browser.

Same here.

Perhaps the person who had the problem can try again today?
Re: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
On 15 Jul 2002, at 6:13, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> If this doesn't happen to Windows/IE and Netscape customers, it is
> probably not particularly important.
>
> http://beta.wikipedia.com/wiki/Special%3ARecentchanges
>
> In mozilla, this page renders with the logo on top of the menu
> dropdown box and the "Go" button. (Also, above that, the "Main Page"
> and "Recent Changes" links have the logo on top of them.)

It occurs in IE5 as well, although for both browsers it only occurs
when the browsers width is less then half the screen (on a 800x600
screen).

Imran
--
TheOpenCD Project
Promoting Open Source on Windows
RE: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
Why would anyone read wikipedia in a window 400 pixels wide when a single
click can make it 800? You can "uglify" most web pages that way.

As for the "Random Page" issue, I tried from work and from home, with and
without proxy, on beta.wikipedia.com and on Lee's piclab server, but I
couldn't reproduce the effect. I get another random page every time. And I
don't have any "fancy settings" in my browser.

Magnus

RE: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
> > Why would anyone read wikipedia in a window 400 pixels wide
> when a single
> > click can make it 800? You can "uglify" most web pages that way.
>
> Sure! But, for me, that isn't the issue. I'm at 1024x768, a
> pretty normal setting. I
> am not putting my window to any strange size, either.

Weird. I tried Mozilla 1.0 on Windows 2000, and it looks great, and should
at 1024. Do you have the sidebar on the right or the left?

> Some will say, and I have sympathy for them, that they like to
> run a 400 pixel wide
> browser so that they can have two things going at the same time.
> I don't operate that
> way, but some people do. So maybe we should care a little about
> them, someday.

They can turn off the sidebar;)
Re: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
lcrocker@nupedia.com wrote:

> > http://beta.wikipedia.com/wiki/Special%3ARecentchanges
> >
> > In mozilla, this page renders with the logo on top of the menu
> > dropdown box and the "Go" button. (Also, above that, the "Main
> > Page" and "Recent Changes" links have the logo on top of them.)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here; I'll need to know at least
> which Skin you're using and what your quickbar setting is. A
> screenshot would be nice.

I'm not logged in, so it's the default.

> I'd really like to see a screenshot.

Can you recommend a screenshot program?

--Jimbo
Re: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:18:29AM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Can you recommend a screenshot program?

gimp ?
RE: Page layout problem in mozilla [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Magnus Manske wrote:
> Why would anyone read wikipedia in a window 400 pixels wide when a single
> click can make it 800? You can "uglify" most web pages that way.

I often work with two browser windows side by side on my 1024x768 laptop
screen, one for a Wiki and the other for a Google. Sometimes, when I look
for the right language link, I have Wikipedia in both windows. They would
typically be 600 and 400 pixels wide. The current layout works fine,
though.

--
Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)
tel +46-70-7891609