trains (if required), where to alight, and walking directions from the
station to the hotel(s).

Maybe also which end of the train to use, which exit to use from the station.

Could someone with local knowledge provide that, please?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Can anyone advise, epalse?

I had one reply pointing out that the Suntec website says "alight at
Esplanade or Promenade", but doesn't say which of these is closest to
Park Royal, (where I'm staying) or any of the other hotels.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Wouldn’t Google Maps and its equivalents have this information
readily available?

Best regards,
Bence

On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 at 13:50, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone advise, epalse?
>
> I had one reply pointing out that the Suntec website says "alight at
> Esplanade or Promenade", but doesn't say which of these is closest to
> Park Royal, (where I'm staying) or any of the other hotels.
>
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 at 19:50, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you to all the organisers for all their hard work and continuing
> > support, not least the useful "Scholar attendee Guide".
> >
> > However, what I can't find in that document, that I (and no doubt many
> > others) would find useful is explicit directions from the airport to
> > the scholarship hotels.
> >
> > It does say "MRT - Go to Terminal 3, follow Train to City sign (+/-
> SGD2)"
> >
> > What would be useful is step-by-step directions on where to change
> > trains (if required), where to alight, and walking directions from the
> > station to the hotel(s).
> >
> > Maybe also which end of the train to use, which exit to use from the
> station.
> >
> > Could someone with local knowledge provide that, please?
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
>

> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

-- Bence Damokos Sent from Gmail Mobile
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We put general information, as Changi Airport has 4 different terminals and
not everyone will arrive on the same terminals.
We are preparing some information to help scholars during arrival.
For anything related to scholarship, please kindly refer it to me rather
than a public list as not every scholar will be comfortable sharing the
information related to the accommodation.

I will reply to you in a separate email regarding this matter.
Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

*Gisca Syalindri*
Wikimania Scholarship Coordinator

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
I got very detailed information from Google maps on how to get to my hotel,
including where to change, which exit to take once I get off the train at
the final destination, which direction to walk, etc and through the agency
link that google map provided, I got the information on how much my trip
will cost.

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 at 14:00, Gisca Syalindri
<gsyalindri-ctr@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> For anything related to scholarship, please kindly refer it to me rather than a public list as not every scholar will be comfortable sharing the information related to the accommodation.

I did not ask nor suggest that anyone who does not wish to share such
information.

> I will reply to you in a separate email regarding this matter.

Please reply on this list, so that everyone else staying at the same
hotel can see the information.
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
There's more than one Park Royal in Singapore. Each is near an MRT station.

To find out which MRT station is nearest your hotel, google the hotel's name
and street address with "mrt" at the end of the search. Then you can find
both the hotel and the MRT station on Google Maps. To find a map of the MRT,
google "mrt map Singapore". It's not that hard.

Also, in Singapore most people speak English, and are very polite. So if you
get lost you can ask for directions.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 at 15:08, <jludlow@globaldial.com> wrote:

> There's more than one Park Royal in Singapore.

I was, as my original post implied ("the useful 'Scholar attendee
Guide'... what I can't find in that document"), referring to the Park
Royal where rooms ahve been booked for scholarship attendees.

> To find out which MRT station is nearest your hotel, google the hotel's name
[...]
>It's not that hard.

Thank you. I know how to use Google.

> Also, in Singapore most people speak English, and are very polite. So if you
> get lost you can ask for directions.

That is exactly what I have asked for. So far, no-one has given them

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
So why didn't you just email the organisers and ask them which Park Royal
hotel it was, instead of spamming my and numerous other peoples' inboxes
with your rubbish that we didn't need to be spammed about????

> There's more than one Park Royal in Singapore.

I was, as my original post implied ("the useful 'Scholar attendee Guide'...
what I can't find in that document"), referring to the Park Royal where
rooms ahve been booked for scholarship attendees.

> To find out which MRT station is nearest your hotel, google the
> hotel's name
[...]

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Judlow,

while I also don't appreciate spamming in my inbox (especially in the days
just before the event when we get a lot of important information), I don't
think your reaction was appropriate.

Andy,

the address of your hotel should be in the e-mail titled "Accomodation for
Wikimania - Scholarship - Your name" coming from Gisca Syalindri.

Cheers,

niedz., 6 sie 2023 o 17:12 <jludlow@globaldial.com> napisa?(a):

*User:Nadzik <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nadzik>*
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Hi Everyone,

The closest MRT station to ParkRoyal at Beach Road and Village Hotel Bugis
is Bugis station of the Green line (east-west line)

You may also check the Accomodation page for new information.
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Accommodation

Kind regards,

Butch Bustria

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
This is the kind of information one might reasonably expect for a well
organised event.

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Thank you Butch for the helpful information on the wiki.

It sounds like there's some misalignment as to how much to guidance/detail
to expect written out. In previous years, volunteer organizers went out of
their way to describe in extreme detail how to get to the
accommodation/venue, even with recorded video walkthroughs. That was great,
but should not set an expectation for future organizers to do the same:
it's hard enough to organize a conference like this, without meeting all
these expectations.

Whenever there are specific questions, it's of course always welcome to ask
people - for example through this list. Perhaps the Rome2Rio link in the
wiki
<https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Changi-Airport-MRT-Station/PARKROYAL-on-Beach-Road-Singapore>
page linked earlier will give you this kind of 'walking instructions' - but
indeed entering the address in Google Maps may also be helpful. I can
imagine that relying on live access to internet is a bit scary (will your
phone work?) so looking into it in advance sounds helpful. It looks like a
straight metro ride with a short walk along two streets.

Andy, if there's anything specific that you need beyond that link, feel
free to clarify what that is, and what gives you uncertainty about this.
I'm going to assume that the MRT station inside the airport is easy to
find, and that the walk is acceptable. If you do find information lacking
on the wiki and you figure it out (with or without help), I hope you'll
feel free to either edit the page, or suggest it on the talkpage as an
improvement.

Overall, I hope that as a community we can lower what we "expect" from the
organizers to take care of - because the increasing list of things they
have to arrange make it nearly impossible for future conferences to be
organized in an affordable manner.

Warmly,
Lodewijk

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Dear all,

A general note -- please remember that our peers and colleagues are working
hard to organize this conference on behalf of the Wikimedia movement, and
many volunteers and staff have been working on the event for a very long
time. Please be kind to one another both here and at the event. Your
conference organizers are entering the very most stressful time of
conference planning right now - the week before the event! - and many of
your fellow attendees will be going to Singapore and perhaps to Wikimania
for the first time. So please be thoughtful and helpful in all of your
messages and assume good faith of your colleagues.

My other request for the Wikimania community is to please share helpful
information on the wiki when you know or discover it. You can also share in
other ways; in addition to this mailing list, there's also an active
telegram channel that might be of interest to join:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2023:Attendees. Wikimania is a
collaborative and participatory event and it will take all of us to make it
a great experience.

Thanks Lodewijk for your great reminder as well that each conference - and
city! - is different. Let's be bold, collaborative and kind in building
this event together. I can't wait to see many of you soon!
Phoebe

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 at 20:41, effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com> wrote:

> In previous years, volunteer organizers went out of their way to describe in extreme detail how to get to the accommodation/venue

Indeed so - and such information has also in previous years been
generously provided by Wikimedia volunteers who were not Wikimania
organizers, but who were local to the event. Nobody complained when
such questions were asked on this list.

An exemplary example is the thread archived here:

https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimania-l@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/2XF5VNDYJYSSZXTRXM7HJUVCOBLD5BUN/#CUJKPB6XIMR5M32GXMXITHU3WLSVBZLZ

> That was great, but should not set an expectation for future organizers to do the same

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have no such expectations.

The only pertinent expectation I have is that discourse on this and
our other mailing lists will be conducted with more civility than I
was shown today.

> Whenever there are specific questions, it's of course always welcome to ask people - for example through this list.

Recent evidence suggests, sadly, otherwise.

> It looks like a straight metro ride with a short walk along two streets.

Apparently not; the links provided suggest a change of trains is required.

> Andy, if there's anything specific that you need beyond that link, feel free to clarify what that is

I think my originally, carefully worded query was explicitly clear, as
in the context of that query, which it quoted, was my follow-up.

[.Readers will note that it does not include a request for the location
of any of the hotels to which I referred]

> Overall, I hope that as a community we can lower what we "expect" from the organizers to take care of

Again, I have no expectations such as those to which you refer.

My request was for "someone with local knowledge" to give an answer.

[.My only request to an organiser, when they said they would reply
privately, was to do so here instead, so that others may benefit]
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

With regards to the closest train station to alight for Park Royal Hotel on Beach Road, there are two, one slightly further than the other: Nicoll Highway MRT station (Circle line/Yellow, CC5) and Bugis MRT interchange (Downtown line/Blue|East-west line/Green, DT14/EW12).
To travel to the hotel via the MRT train service, you will have to take the train from Changi Airport heading towards Tanah Merah MRT interchange.
Pulling into Tenah Merah MRT interchange in the middle platform, you will have to alight and take the train going towards Tuas Link, Joo Koon, or Boon Lay MRT stations.
The train going towards Tuas Link, Joo Koon, or Boon Lay stations should be on the left of the train when pulling into Tanah Merah station.

Bugis MRT station is further from the hotel by a couple of hundred meters than Nicoll Highway MRT station.
It is an underground station.
However, it is on the line of the train service which you will be boarding at Tanah Merah station.
Therefore no further transfer is required.
If you take Exit B of the station, I suggest walking along Rochor Road, then Beach Road towards the hotel as there is currently road works at Ophir Road which may make the walking experience unpleasant along that road.
To shorten your exposure to the hot weather above ground, I suggest walking towards Exit E or F instead, which will bring you to a mixed residence development, Duo located on Beach Road.
As Exit E/F is in the middle of the development, I recommend that you ask a local for directions to the hotel, or at least Beach Road.

Nicoll Highway MRT station is a second option. However, it is one that I don't recommend if you are using a luggage and dislike using overhead pedestrian bridges.
Nicoll Highway MRT station requires a transfer at Paya Lebar MRT interchange, which is also on the East-west Line.
At Paya Lebar MRT station, you will have to walk from the above ground platform where you will alight from the train from the airport, then proceed to the underground platform for the Circle line.
Take the train service that is heading towards Dhoby Ghaut or Marina Bay MRT stations.
Alight at Nicoll Highway MRT station and take Exit A.
Walk onto the overhead bridge that will be right in front of you as that is the only way to get across the highway.
There is an upriding escalator, and also a lift as well.
Along the bridge, there is an exit, but that goes into the Concourse. Then there is another exit to the first floor.
There should be escalators in both directions, and also a lift. Take this exit.
Thereafter, walk along Java Road, then turn right on Beach Road towards the hotel.

Robert

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
It is not civil to spam people relentlessly about your inability to find
your way from the airport to your hotel, particularly in a place like
Singapore, and especially when you haven't even bothered to ask the
organisers where your hotel is located.

Unlike you, I arranged my own accommodation and figured out for myself how
to get there, as I always do when I visit Singapore.

Please now be civil enough to refrain from spamming me any further.

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Aug 2023 at 02:31, Robert Sim <contact@robertsky.com> wrote:

> With regards to the closest train station to alight for Park Royal Hotel on Beach Road
[...]

Thank you, Robert - that's exactly the kind of detailed insight I was
hoping for. Very helpful.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy,

Perhaps you haven't been in Singapore before, so of course you will need
any pertinent information to your questions.

I am not local but happen to be in Singapore several times. Last I was
there in 2015 for FOSSAsia as one of the speakers (before going to Manila
for the same). I can assure you that Singapore is easy to go around and a
foreigner friendly city, and it's not a big crowded city like perhaps other
ASEAN cities such as Jakarta, KL, Bangkok or Manila.

One caveat could be that Wikimania happens during a festive season in
Singapore and so many concerts are coming this time of the year that
escalates everything.

Hope you are doing well and also have a festive moments during the event.

Best,

handoko -

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Jludlow, your message below is unnecessary and unkind. I am putting your
address on moderation.

There will be many more messages on this list than normal during the
conference, this week and next; if anyone doesn't wish to get them, you can
unsubscribe or mute the list temporarily!

And thanks for the additional directions Robert! I also find them very
helpful :)

best,
Phoebe

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Is there a telegram group recommended for general micro coordination?

It's a useful way for people to quickly ask stuff like "which room",
"what's the map pin for the restaurant", "is anyone else catching the
train" etc.

Re: Arrival and travel to hotel [ In reply to ]
Hi Folks,

Sign to Wikimania chat first at https://t.me/wikimaniachat

There is also Wikimania Social (for non-program related) at
https://t.me/wikimaniasocial

From there you can assess if a separate chat group is necessary or if the
existing ones are just enough.

Kind regards

*Butch Bustria*
Event Lead
ESEAP Wikimania 2023 Core Organizing Team