Mailing List Archive

Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023)
On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 3:14?AM Gnangarra <gnangarra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zeljko
>
> Your comment is uncalled for;

Hi Gnangarra. Firstly I did not make a comment but a question. It was also
towards someone who felt too busy to do edits *(which is fair, I do also),
but was regretting it publicly while doing a lot of work for a friend that
is interested to participate but also be very anxious over multiple things
that could be interpreted as transphobia.

> scholarships are distributed according to many varied criteria every
> application is independently reviewed by the team.

I did not open the question of criteria, but if you feel like you wanna
share more as a person leading this work I would encourage you to do it
publicly and systematically on Wikimania pages.

> Each application as scored is then compared across the region maximising
> the best candidates,

Interesting. So the list will have regional and national listings of
awardees?
Was it done that way before? Looking forward to see this info.

> each year its been the COT that have decided what criteria to focus on.

Interesting. I would think it was a mix of established norms and program
focus.

This year the criteria was collaboration through outreach, and developing
> new communities because everyone contributes in different ways.

Fascinating. I look forward to see people who do great work here and also
who are close runners up. I see myself primarily as Outreach person *(would
love to see Outreach wiki re-gain momentum) and really wanna know of people
that are even more enthusiastic and productive in this direction.

> One thing has always remained consistent that is we discuss the topic not
> the individual, please refrain from judging the individual in future
> comments.

I am sorry you felt this was judging *(usually you should be in power to do
so), as I mostly echoed self-stated claims and asking questions.

> Not everyone has the same freedoms or experiences at home and that leads
> to concerns when travelling.

Since I would have not been legal in Singapore last year this time I am
well aware of this, however this is based on legal regulations not
hypothetical probability.

> Trust & Safety people will be readily available during the event and at
> each activity, all volunteers will have T&S training and instructions on
> where to contact the T&S team

That is good to know.

Thank you for fast inputs, though I was not expecting or calling it for as
you phrased it, but I do look forward now to *(delayed) the report on
Wikimania wiki.

Best wishes!

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
If true, others would be very interested in learning what a '4 time
attendee' knows so they can also be accorded the opportunity to contribute
to this great endeavor next year and in the years to come. Much to learn.
Wishing all the best, it's going to be a great experience in Singapore.

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
Generally a review of criteria seems like a fair idea - but I would
recommend doing that after the conference (ideally after the evaluation
results come back). That way, you have the benefit of knowing what people
have been missing, and what skills /experience/quality we might have added
to make it a better conference.

Zeljko: I can't look in your head, but I also read your original response
as passive aggressive and it looked like you were using the scholarship as
a way to score points in a conversation with someone who you had a
disagreement with. I'm glad if this was not your intention, but I thought
you might want to know that is how it came across to me.

Gnangarra: What would be a helpful way/moment for people to weigh in on
evaluating the criteria? I think this is a returning conversation each year
(often triggered by a specific situation of an applicant) so finding a
suitable moment and preparing some materials for review might be helpful. I
know you're very busy with Wikimania right now, so don't want to suggest
adding this to your burden - or even suggest that you're the best person
for this.

Best,
Lodewijk

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 3:54?PM effe iets anders <effeietsanders@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Generally a review of criteria seems like a fair idea - but I would
> recommend doing that after the conference (ideally after the evaluation
> results come back). That way, you have the benefit of knowing what people
> have been missing, and what skills /experience/quality we might have added
> to make it a better conference.

I think criteria and focuses have been discussed *(from what I see on Meta)
many times and that did not help increase satisfaction with the process of
selection based on that criteria as it is intransparent, compared to almost
everything else of onWiki work.

> Zeljko: I can't look in your head, but I also read your original response
> as passive aggressive and it looked like you were using the scholarship as
> a way to score points in a conversation with someone who you had a
> disagreement with. I'm glad if this was not your intention, but I thought
> you might want to know that is how it came across to me.

Indeed you can not, but you sure made a strong effort ;-)
Anyway I am not sure who you refer to now exactly. I do not have strong
disagreement with Mina and/or Gnangarra, as I do not think I met either
personally, but I do see systematic issues and I point to them in arguments
presented by both. Maybe I should have been more diplomatic in phrasing
that, but my focus is elsewhere.

Gnangarra: What would be a helpful way/moment for people to weigh in on
> evaluating the criteria?

I also think the exact scoring of committee members to applications should
be available upon request if people are OK with sharing this. I think many
spent hours writing the application and would love to learn how they scored
and why, even if that is at risk being somewhat embarrassing for either
applicant and/or people scoring.

> I think this is a returning conversation each year (often triggered by a
> specific situation of an applicant) so finding a suitable moment and
> preparing some materials for review might be helpful. I know you're very
> busy with Wikimania right now, so don't want to suggest adding this to your
> burden - or even suggest that you're the best person for this.

Even more than just this. I think the whole system should be revised with
new post-pandemic and pre-climate breakdown learnings in mind + reduced
availability of funds for global travel.
Maybe as Jan-Bart suggested, less of this global (travel) for a few and
more regional (for many) on an annual basis is more justifiable
economically and environmentally.
Wikimania could be more like a hybrid online/offline event every 4 years
and have only continental events annually.

Best, Z.

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
I have been trying to find a time slot to reply to the renamed thread
"selection criteria", as I gather the renaming was prompted by my original
email about Wikimania and my friend's reservations in attending owing to
possible gender-related issues. I was planning on addressing each inline
comment by Z. and others but I only have little time and my phone available
right now.

So Z., what makes you assume that I will be attending Wikimania in
Singapore? What guarants you the right to judge if and when and how much I
have been editing lately to deserve a scholarship?

Let it be known that I didn't even apply for a scholarship for Wikimania
2023. Moreover, I have disassociated myself from the Wikimedia movement
since last year. I just happen to still be enrolled on the mailing lists
and the email came just as I had had a discussion with a friend who wanted
to travel to Singapore this summer and I mentioned that Wikimania will be
held there and she was interested and that's how it all started (I may be
terribly disappointed and disillusioned by the Foundation and the movement
and the direction Wikipedia is headed, but I still believe Wikimanias are
amazing events)

If there were transparency in the process of selection, there would have
been a public list of scholarship recipients and so along with checking my
edit count, you could have checked if I were on the list and spared me (and
the rest of us reading these emails) the irony. I believe in the past there
were lists, I don't think it was a good idea that they were stopped.
I attended Wikimania on scholarship in 2015, 16, 18 and 19 and I've also
attended CEE 2018 and WikiArabia 2019. Feel free to check my edit counts
and outreach activities prior to 2019 and judge if I deserved the
scholarships or not. Oh, also I ran my first Wikipedia in Education program
in 2007. That's even before Wikipedia in Education was officially launched
(2009 was it? When most editors - in Greece at least - were at best
sceptical, at worst vehemently against letting students edit Wikipedia)

That said, I appreciate the comments by all the participants in the
discussion on gender policy, and I would like to address them, but please
tell me if I should use this thread or the former one (i.e. before the
rename)

Apologies if I have missed something, it would be much easier if I were
writing from my PC. Hopefully tomorrow.

Best,
Mina

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
Hi Mina,

There are two main issues here, first about the selection criteria and the
second about the gender issue in which one might think they are in need to
be an exclusive group yet willing to be put in inclusion.

I am glad to notice that some had been granted four times Wikimania
scholarships, for me it's kind of perpetuality that you will granted
another scholarship if you intended to apply. I am glad also to know that
you are fed up and refrained from Wikipedia movement.

I would love to hearing more.

- handoko

Re: Selection criteria *(WAS: Planning your trip to Singapore for Wikimania 2023) [ In reply to ]
Hi Zeljko

I did submit a proposal to start this discussion at Wikimania, it has been
merged into the Future of Wikimania discussion. The list of scholars will
be going up very soon. At the start of the process I made some assumptions
with regards to being able to use the community created scholarship
software, which had been switched off. That left me with some opportunities
and some headaches in finding new software, I went with the WMF hosted
version of Limesurvey, while I was able to make it work it isnt designed
for this. The criteria was something I wrote from scratch, it was
reviewed. It focused on people who were collaborating, people who were
engaged with projects other than just Wikipedia, and new contributors.

The scoring of applications shifted from between 1 and 10, to between -5
and 29 with each reviewer giving their own score which I then averaged out
providing me with an effective scoring range that meant everyone was unique
and there was no need to guess who got the better 10. I cant release the
scoring because this was done inconfidence both for the reviewers, and the
individuals its more important to me to keep that confidence. I consider
it important to ensure that team who did the scoring are free to assess
applications even of those of people they know fairly averaging the final
scores addresses any bias, during that I check for anomalies. I will pass
this across to the 2024 team to consider but it should be something
that's agreed to and known as a condition of applying before doing so. I
can see significant downsides to this, the biggest being that applicants
who get scored low will take it as rejection of their efforts, and
reviewers will be reluctant to score some people low while eager to score
others high if it provides them with an opportunity to gain something.
Knowing all of this was it perfect, let's wait and see Wikimania goes what
impacts the scholars have but I stand by the outcomes knowing everyone was
treated equally in the process. This year its voluntary reporting post
wikimania for scholars in exchange for them being event volunteers, so we
will be engaging with one of them.

As for changes in a post covid, climate impact world we are working on it
ESEAP has been since 2020 first in choosing Bangkok, then in selecting
Singapore rather than where we had teams ready to go in Bali, and Perth.
For Wikimania itself the COT has included live streaming, and zoom like
connections with each room, hence why we need a lot of extra volunteers.
The steering committee has spoken about dual city hosts to lower the miles
travelled first its best if we get the hybrid elements working effectively
and find ways to connect people that are as meaningful as talking in person
in the same place, while experiencing Wikimania that is very hard to
replicate online even with 3 years of nothing but that.

I happy to talk for hours about the whole process and tear it apart to make
it better lets do this when we have more knowledge of its impact and bring
in the team for 2024 so that the outcomes aren't just lost in yet another
report.

See everyone in Singapore, please join the "Future of Wikimania" talk,
when you see me around Suntec and Singapore please tap me on the shoulder.
I'm happy to talk more about any topic.

Cheers
Gnangarra