Mailing List Archive

expressions of interest for 2024 and beyond
Dear all,
If you would like to host Wikimania in your locale in 2024 or beyond, the
process to express interest in hosting is open:
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2024:Expressions_of_Interest

We have decided to keep the process open for a couple more weeks to give
some extra time to put in new expressions of interest and also for teams to
work on and fill out the ones that have been submitted so far. Thanks to
everyone who has submitted!

The new deadline is January 8th - and the Wikimania steering committee will
deliberate after that. Remember that you can express your interest in
hosting the conference in 2024 and beyond.

Don't forget to write about:
- your team! do you have an existing group of Wikimedians who have worked
on events? Would you like to use the event to recruit new Wikimedians to
your group? Do you have a regional collaboration?
- Your vision and goal for the conference. Why do you want Wikimania to be
held in your area?

You don't need to have a venue or logistics. But if you have ideas (are
there particular places you can imagine, or many options? Places similarly
sized conferences have been?) then tell us about them!

Wikimania is extraordinary and we want to hear from you. Please let the
Wikimania steering committee know if you have any questions.

best,
Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *
Re: expressions of interest for 2024 and beyond [ In reply to ]
Hi Phoebe et al,

Exactly how much work is expected from prospective hosts at this point and
going forward, and how much time are they expected to commit? I've
attended Wikimaniae and was heavily involved with organising 2014. The
conference itself could be held more or less anywhere, though ideally
somewhere well connected and with an enthusiastic Wikimedia community and
I'd love to be involved with hosting another one but experience suggests
it's not something I could fit around a full-time job and a family.

Best,
Harry

Re: expressions of interest for 2024 and beyond [ In reply to ]
Hi Harry,

Indeed, planning Wikimania can expand to fit every available spare
moment :) At this point, we are really looking for ideas and
information but not a full-fledged proposal - you don't need to talk
to the venue or get commitments for grants or any of the level of
planning that we have asked bids to do in the past. But if you have a
local community and thoughts on how it could work, do tell us that! In
particular it's helpful to know how much enthusiasm there is either in
the region (like this year's ESEAP supported event) or locally for
having the conference. In recent years, Wikimedia has expanded its
support of Wikimania; the WMF can help with matters like booking
venues and logistics, and we can bring in event organizers, so that
local volunteers can concentrate on the programmatic and community
side. So while it is still work to host wikimania, it should be less
than it once was. Also, you may want to connect with your fellow
Wikimania 2014 organizer, who is proposing a return to London!
https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2024:Expressions_of_Interest/London,_UK

cheers,
Phoebe