Mailing List Archive

Wikimania 2010 bidding process

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
Cary Bass wrote:
> I believe that bringing up the dates for Wikimania 2009 was advantageous
> for several reasons; the first being that it allows a specific 2009 team
> to learn from the 2008 conference.

Absolutely. This was the subject of an informal post-mortem after
Wikimania Boston, and I'm happy to see that we have gone this way.

> The question now is whether bidding
> for 2010 should take place in the fall, shortly after Wikimania 2008, to
> take advantage of the momentum generated by the current conference,
> while the event is still fresh in people's heads; or should we wait
> until the beginning of 2009, like we did this year with Wikimania 2009.

Doing this in the fall should be just fine. Remember that in the past
year both 2008 and 2009 had to be allocated on a catch-up basis. Now we
start in that it allows the new city to put together and fund the team
members who will be at the preceding Wikimania.

No matter when the decision is made, there will always be
procrastinators who wait for the last minute to make their submissions
anyway.

> I'm sure this will be somewhat of a discussion during this year's event.
> ~ I'd also like to involve as wide a representation of the community at
> large in the process; this is why I'm sending this email out now, while
> Wikimania is on people's minds.

Ec.

PS: re Buenos Aires: The site still shows a "proposed" date of August
28-30. Has this been firmed up? My reason for asking is that my wife
has agreed to come with me to Buenos Aires, and she wants to slot in her
vacation time at work before someone else claims that spot.

Ray

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
Ray,

>PS: re Buenos Aires: The site still shows a "proposed" date of August
>28-30. Has this been firmed up? My reason for asking is that my wife
>has agreed to come with me to Buenos Aires, and she wants to slot in her
>vacation time at work before someone else claims that spot.

It is not set in stone yet, but the venue is reserved and confirmed for that
whole week.

Barcex
Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
2008/7/11, Cary Bass <cbass@wikimedia.org>:

> I believe that bringing up the dates for Wikimania 2009 was advantageous
> for several reasons; the first being that it allows a specific 2009 team
> to learn from the 2008 conference. The question now is whether bidding
> for 2010 should take place in the fall, shortly after Wikimania 2008, to
> take advantage of the momentum generated by the current conference,
> while the event is still fresh in people's heads; or should we wait
> until the beginning of 2009, like we did this year with Wikimania 2009.

Just some comments. I think it is better to avoid terms like "fall" as
the world has a Northern and a Southern hemisphere. Instead it is better to
propose month ranges. Our experience as WM2009 bidding team was not always
pleasant because the bidding period went from December (Christmas) to the
end of February (Summer vacations in the Southern hemisphere). So I advice
to set a bidding period when both Northern and Southern hemispheres are not
on vacations. In my opinion, proper periods of the year could be:
September-November and March-June. I vote for September-November 2008
(three months) if the timeline is announced by the beginning of August.

Barcex
Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
Barcex wrote:
> Ray,
>
> >PS: re Buenos Aires: The site still shows a "proposed" date of
> August
> >28-30. Has this been firmed up? My reason for asking is that my
> wife
> >has agreed to come with me to Buenos Aires, and she wants to slot
> in her
> >vacation time at work before someone else claims that spot.
>
> It is not set in stone yet, but the venue is reserved and confirmed
> for that whole week.

Thank you. So if she sets her vacation for the two weeks beginning
August 23 she should be safe?

Ray

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
Hi Cary,

thanks for bringing this up. I agree definitely that bringing the
dates afront is a good thing, even though not all potential has been
used yet. However, I also see some disadvantages of bringing the dates
forth too much. The main argument here is the loose of momentum
*after* the bidding process. Momentum is important, and to start a
bidding process almost two years in advance is probably too much for
an organization of mainly volunteers where a lot of people don't know
what they will be doing in one year time even.

Being on a probably bidding team, I think having the bidding process
in october/november is not going to work well. We are already
orienting, and to make a good bid, we want to offer a sound financial
and organizational basis. However, this costs time, as easy as that.
This also requires internal approval within chapters if they
participate in the bidding process, which also takes time. It will be
very tough to find sufficient willing potential sponsors and
supportive organisations more then 1,5 year in advance of the
conference.

We did discuss this quite extensively already actually internally
(within the NL bidding team), and concluded that it would be nearly
impossible for us to compete if the bidding process would take place
this early in the year. Please also bear in mind that some chapters,
especially in Europe, are organizing their national conference in the
fall (this time that is an appropriate word to use ;-) ) of this year,
and since there is quite some overlap in the people, that would
potentially cause major problems.

So to conclude, please let's not rush things, and offer people from
all over the world to create a great bid, with a good basis.
Especially a bid that will after all also be able to be executed as
planned, which is harder if there is more rush in the creation of the
bid.

However, I would plea to make the bidding process somewhat longer.
Start somewhat earlier with it, and have larger spans. Let's try to
finish it in March, but already start it in November or December. This
would offer the best of both worlds I believe.

Also I believe that if a group of people wants to take the momentum
from this Wikimania, they will. With or without a short deadline.
People don't need a deadline to work on a bid.

Best regards,

Lodewijk Gelauff

ps: to be clear, I am active in Wikimedia Nederland, and working on a
Dutch bid for Wikimania 2010. I might be a bit biased with what
problems *we* think to encounter with an early deadline. :)

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
Ehm? Did you decide on the timeline now? :S

Just for the record, is this a WMF decision, or just what we call in
Dutch a "proefballon", a little test to taste the reactions.

as explained in my previous email, I see barely advantages and a lot
of disadvantages. I sincerely hope this time schedule will not be
close to what it will be, especially not without a little more
rationale?

Best regards,

Lodewijk

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]

Re: Wikimania 2010 bidding process [ In reply to ]
I think this faster timeline could be OK, but only if there was more of an
independent WMF led drive for international sponsors going on at the same
time. This would take some of the pressure off individual candidate cities
to secure big sponsorship deals and remove a heck of a lot of duplicated
work. (Obviously expensive cities would still have to secure some level of
local sponsorship.) It would also enable bidding cities to be a lot more
concrete about their financial situation.

Tom