Mailing List Archive

Shuttle related questions
Hi, I have some questions I really need answering.

1. How do we catch the free shuttle that is being provided for us? Do we
need to buy a ticket from anywhere, and get refunded? Or do we just catch
the one marked Alexandria without paying anything? Also, whereabouts is it
located in relation to the airport? Directions would be nice.

2. When we arrive in Alexandria, how far is the station from the
accommodation (the College)? Would we need to get a taxi? Again, directons
would be good.

3. When we get to the accommodation, how do we identify ourselves? Just with
our name, or do we say "We're with Wikimania"?

On getting back:

4. See question one. Which station do we go from? How do we board it?

These are basic things that should be on the wiki, in my opinion. I
shouldn't have to be asking about stuff like this. Other basic info not
included on the wiki is the address of the College Saint-Marc. Why is it not
there, and why when ever I ask anything does no one know the answer?

I've never been to Egypt before. I've never travelled on my own. I have this
awful feeling I'm going to get to Cairo, and be basically stranded because
of the lack of information provided by this year's team. Please provide it.
Call me paranoid, but I like to know what I'm doing, and I'd rather plan
well ahead for something like this. Thank you.

--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)
Re: Shuttle related questions [ In reply to ]
Al Tally wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions I really need answering.
>
> 1. How do we catch the free shuttle that is being provided for us? Do
> we need to buy a ticket from anywhere, and get refunded? Or do we just
> catch the one marked Alexandria without paying anything? Also,
> whereabouts is it located in relation to the airport? Directions would
> be nice.

Well, it's a free shuttle, so no need to buy anything. I assume you just
have to find the vehicle and say "I'm going to Wikimania" or something
along those lines. Or maybe just show your passport.

But the exact location of the shuttle is something I'd like to know as
well. Also, will we be able to catch the next shuttle, should we miss
one we "reserved" (because of unforeseen reasons, such as plane delays
and customs/visa arrangements)?
> 2. When we arrive in Alexandria, how far is the station from the
> accommodation (the College)? Would we need to get a taxi? Again,
> directons would be good.
IIUC, the shuttle will drive to the College, so no need to catch any
other ride.

> 3. When we get to the accommodation, how do we identify ourselves?
> Just with our name, or do we say "We're with Wikimania"?

That's what I'd like to know as well.
> On getting back:
>
> 4. See question one. Which station do we go from? How do we board it?

That could be determined at the conference.
> These are basic things that should be on the wiki, in my opinion. I
> shouldn't have to be asking about stuff like this. Other basic info
> not included on the wiki is the address of the College Saint-Marc. Why
> is it not there, and why when ever I ask anything does no one know the
> answer?
I found the address by googling (from my cell phone, while at the
embassy): 21526 Alexandria, Egypt. Also, take a look at this:
http://wikimapia.org/10225/

> I've never been to Egypt before. I've never travelled on my own. I
> have this awful feeling I'm going to get to Cairo, and be basically
> stranded because of the lack of information provided by this year's
> team. Please provide it. Call me paranoid, but I like to know what I'm
> doing, and I'd rather plan well ahead for something like this. Thank you.

Two years back, it was the first time that I traveled alone (and it was
abroad). It was to Wikimania 2006, Boston. Effeietsanders and me agreed
to wait for each other at the airport and go to Cambridge together. Of
course, the USA can't compare to Egypt (in terms of language, culture
etc), but I'm just saying that you can always try to find someone that
shares the same/similar plans with you. In the end, everything usually
works out fine :)

Or you can bring your cell phones, PDAs, laptops, blackberries and
whatnots and scream for help should you need any :)

Cheers,
Filip

Re: Shuttle related questions [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Filip Maljkovic <dungodung@gmail.com> wrote:
> Al Tally wrote:
>> Hi, I have some questions I really need answering.
>>
>> 1. How do we catch the free shuttle that is being provided for us? Do
>> we need to buy a ticket from anywhere, and get refunded? Or do we just
>> catch the one marked Alexandria without paying anything? Also,
>> whereabouts is it located in relation to the airport? Directions would
>> be nice.
>>
> Well, it's a free shuttle, so no need to buy anything. I assume you just
> have to find the vehicle and say "I'm going to Wikimania" or something
> along those lines. Or maybe just show your passport.
>
> But the exact location of the shuttle is something I'd like to know as
> well. Also, will we be able to catch the next shuttle, should we miss
> one we "reserved" (because of unforeseen reasons, such as plane delays
> and customs/visa arrangements)?
>> 2. When we arrive in Alexandria, how far is the station from the
>> accommodation (the College)? Would we need to get a taxi? Again,
>> directons would be good.
> IIUC, the shuttle will drive to the College, so no need to catch any
> other ride.
>>
>> 3. When we get to the accommodation, how do we identify ourselves?
>> Just with our name, or do we say "We're with Wikimania"?
>>
> That's what I'd like to know as well.
>>

>>I asked some of the organizers about what should we do, and they said it'll be ok to arrive at the college and just say that you're with wikimania

Also they said it's a good idea to print the latest email that
confirmed your registration which contains your name, and you
registration number, anyway, if you fail to communicate with them
there, you'll be able to find lots of egyptian wikimedia contributors
who are registered too and, they could speak many languages and
they'll be able to contact any of the egyptian organization team if
anything happens

despite the fact that there should be someone allready at the college
waiting for "wikimanians" to arrive and guide them

Re: Shuttle related questions [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

On 2008-07-11, Al Tally <majorly.wiki@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions I really need answering.
>
> 1. How do we catch the free shuttle that is being provided for us? Do we
> need to buy a ticket from anywhere, and get refunded? Or do we just catch
> the one marked Alexandria without paying anything? Also, whereabouts is it
> located in relation to the airport? Directions would be nice.

There will be a bus waiting in front of Terminal 1 Hall 1 in Cairo
Airport. and the bus will be waiting for extra 30 minutes. The bus
will be identified by Wikimania sign and a volunteer will be on board
with list of people that have signed up for this one.
You will have to identify yourself by your passport name and
confirmation number for more security, this has not been circulated
over the website anywhere.

> 2. When we arrive in Alexandria, how far is the station from the
> accommodation (the College)? Would we need to get a taxi? Again, directons
> would be good.

you will be at the BA premises, so it will not take 10 minutes to get
your destination. as mentioned before, a volunteer will be on board
whom you can ask about how to get there.

> 3. When we get to the accommodation, how do we identify ourselves? Just with
> our name, or do we say "We're with Wikimania"?

In dorms, there will be volunteers to guide you through the
accommodation process.
while in hotels, you'll find your room reserved with your name.
You have to have your passport ready in both. and if you didn't send
your passport number, please do at your earliest.

> On getting back:
>
> 4. See question one. Which station do we go from? How do we board it?

from BA premises. more information will be on site, currently only 2
departure shuttles are planned per information we got on the website.

> These are basic things that should be on the wiki, in my opinion. I
> shouldn't have to be asking about stuff like this. Other basic info not
> included on the wiki is the address of the College Saint-Marc. Why is it not
> there, and why when ever I ask anything does no one know the answer?

you can find a map on the website in relation to BA at
<http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Hotels-Alex.jpg> (on
the front page of accommodation)
what do you mean with address, best choice would be directions not address.

> I've never been to Egypt before. I've never travelled on my own. I have this
> awful feeling I'm going to get to Cairo, and be basically stranded because
> of the lack of information provided by this year's team. Please provide it.
> Call me paranoid, but I like to know what I'm doing, and I'd rather plan
> well ahead for something like this. Thank you.
>
> --
> Al Tally
> (User:Majorly)

have a nice trip for the first trip in Egypt!

--
- Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/ "Share your knowledge"

Re: Shuttle related questions [ In reply to ]