Mailing List Archive

Egypt travel tips
I have been in Egypt for over a month now, living in Cairo, as a student.
Since arriving, I have traveled around the country, including Sinai,
Alexandria, and will be in Luxor this weekend. With people arriving soon
for Wikimania, I'd like to take the opportunity to share advice and
experiences as a female.

Language -

English is widely spoken in Egypt, and you will get by just fine if you
don't know any words in Arabic. Though it's good to know a few basics in
Arabic: "shukran" - thank you; "aywa" - yes; "la" - no; "la shukran" - no
thanks; "kwayis" - okay, good; "low samaht" - please, excuse me; "asif" -
sorry (said by a male)/"asifa" (said by female); "hina kwayis" - here is
good (useful in a taxi for saying where to stop); "mish fahim" - I don't
understand; "betikkallim ingleezee" - do you speak English?

Arriving-

I found it unusual when arriving in Cairo, when we had to walk down stairs
(out of a jumbo-size Boeing 767) and onto the tarmac. We road a shuttle bus
from there to the airport terminal. Go ahead and exchange some money in the
airport - best to do before going through customs. Getting through customs
and immigration was quick and easy for me, though I obtained my visa in
advance.

Safety -

* I feel extremely safe here -- safer than I do back in the U.S. Crime is
not much of a problem at all. Also, there is a strong police presence
everywhere. In Sinai and other places, there are checkpoints on the
highways. Most of the time, our tour groups have been completely on our
own, but we had police accompany us a few times.

* There is some harassment on the streets, but it's mainly words. Knowing a
few things in Arabic helps (e.g. "la shukran"). It helps to walk in groups,
but I have walked around my neighborhood and other places on my own without
problems.

* For the most part, Egyptians are very welcoming, especially with tourism
so important to the economy here. I even have some friends here who are
Jewish, who are getting along fine here.

Getting around -

* The biggest difference between the U.S. and Egypt (and elsewhere in the
Middle East) is that traffic lights are pretty much lacking here. In a few
spots, there are traffic lights and/or police controlling traffic. To cross
the street, it's like playing the video game "Frogger", hurrying across the
street when there is a small break in traffic. Also, when riding in a taxi,
the taxi driver may go quite fast and it takes getting use to the manner
that they drive.

What to wear -

* I brought lightweight long/half-sleeve blouses, pants (linen or other
lightweight material), and long skirts. At the last minute, I tossed a
t-shirt in my luggage before I left the US. I'm so very glad that I brought
a t-shirt, and really wish I brought more short sleeve tops. In the area of
Cairo where I live (Zamalek), as well as around the university and many
other areas, it is acceptable to wear short sleeves. Same goes for
Alexandria (Bibliotheca and other areas), which is located along the
waterfront.

* If you are going to see the pyramids in Giza or other such sites, anything
goes for clothing. It's not a problem to for women to wear a tank top/or
t-shirt and shorts. Such attire was also absolute acceptable when I was in
Sharm el-Sheikh (in Sinai) and in similar locations.

* For all places, sandals are completely acceptable for women. You will
even see women covered in hijabs who are wearing sandals.

Shopping -

* In Khan al-Khalili (Cairo) and other markets, the vendors are aggressive
in wanting you to come into their shop and buy. As well, the crowds at the
markets can be overwhelming.

* Bargaining - The prices that vendors tell you are way overpriced and you
need to bargain. For example, they may want 50 LE (khamseen) for a scarf,
but you can get it for 10 LE (ashrun) or not more than 20 LE (ashreen). To
get out of bargaining and move along, you can say "hagee tania" which means
"I'll come back another time". Pretty much all the vendors will know some
English, but a little bit of Arabic can help.

* Khan al-Khalili is located in Islamic Cairo section of the city, which is
more conservative. It's good advice to dress more conservatively when going
shopping. To visit Al-Azhar Mosque, women should also wear a scarf.

Despite having to put up with all this, it is definitely well worth it to
visit Khan al-Khalili or other such places for shopping and souvenirs.

Taking a taxi -

* Prices - Taxi is a cheap and easy way to get around. It's one flat price,
no matter how many people are riding in the taxi. There are no meters.
You set the price, and it should be fair for the driver. If you don't know
what the fare should be for a particular destination, then you should ask
someone (hotel concierge, staff at the dorms, at Bibliotheca, etc.) what's a
reasonable price. 5 LE is a fair price for a ride from Bibliotheca to the
downtown area in Alexandria, since it's not far. I don't remember for sure
exactly how far the dorms are, but I think 5-6 LE is reasonable, since I
don't think the dorms are far. I paid 10-12 LE to get from BA to the other
end of the corniche in Alexandria.

* Getting a taxi - If you are going really far (e.g. downtown Cairo to the
Giza pyramids), then you should agree on a price before getting in a taxi.
For most places (medium and shorter distances), do not discuss price before
getting in. Just say your destination and the driver should agree to take
you. A few times, before or once getting in, the driver has asked me about
price. If that happens, you can say your price. If they don't agree, then
find a different taxi. Really, price should not come up.

* Paying the driver - When you arrive, everyone MUST GET OUT before paying
the driver. Once everyone is out, then the person with the money should
give the driver the money through the window. Then everyone needs to walk
away. Most of the time, the driver doesn't argue with me/us, but sometimes
they will make a fuss and demand more. The thing to do is keep walking
away. You gave them a fair, reasonable amount. As a tourist, maybe you can
give the taxi driver a tiny bit more to avoid an argument.

* You do not need to tip the driver. Just give them the fare.

Eating -

I think most meals are provided at Wikimania, but when you are on your
own...

* Koshari (dish of macaroni, rice, lentils, and sauce) or tamiyya (falafel)
make a good cheap meal. A falafel sandwich can be had for 1-2 LE each, and
koshari meal w/drink for 7-10 LE. Fast food places (e.g. McDonalds,
Hardees, KFC, Pizza Hut) are available most everywhere, though these are not
cheap meals by Egyptian standards. A meal at McDonalds will cost ~30 LE
($5-6 USD) or more. A meal at a good sit-down place (American style cafes,
and other types of places) will cost a bit more, but I think the prices are
comparable or slightly cheaper than in the US.

* I been fine eating the food here, though felt slightly ill after eating
salad in my university cafeteria. It might have been the tomatoes that were
not great. I have avoided salad at other places, though did get salad at
McDonalds which was fine. Some caution about eating raw fruits and
vegetables is a good idea. Cheap tamiyya and koshari have all been fine.

* Alcohol is not difficult to find in Egypt. Stella and Sakara are brands
of beer that are available here. There are plenty of bars and clubs around,
as well a hotel bar is a definite place to find alcohol.

* Restaurants will include a service charge directly on your bill, but you
should also leave a tip.

Bathrooms -

* Western-style toilets are available pretty much most places, though some
places (e.g. Islamic Cairo), you might find a squat-style toilet. When I
arrived at the airport in Cairo, I had some difficulty figuring out how to
flush the toilet. There is a knob on the toilet lid that you pull out and
then push back in when finished with flushing. Some toilets just have a
button to push.

* It's a good idea to carry some toilet paper or tissue with you. Toilet
paper is usually available most places I have been, but not always. In some
places, there is a staff person manning the bathrooms, who will give you
toilet paper for bashish (tip). In some places (e.g. rest houses/stops on
the highway), you will need to pay 1 LE or another amount to use the
bathroom facilities. In places like McDonalds and other restaurants, as
well as hotels, and certainly places like Bibliotheca, you don't pay to use
the bathroom and they have toilet paper.

Sightseeing -

I have been to the Pyramids in Giza, Sakkara, to Alexandria, to Sinai (St.
Katherine's and Sharm el-Sheikh) and will be in Luxor this weekend. I don't
have a lot of spare time to organize these better, but I have quite a few
pictures now posted on Flickr of Alexandria and other places in Egypt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmf164/ Let me know if you want sightseeing
suggestions or advice.

Questions -

http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Aude - I have posted all this
on my Wikimania user page. Please feel free to ask questions. I'm sure I
missed mentioning some things.

-Aude

--
Aude
Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Aude <audevivere@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been in Egypt for over a month now, living in Cairo, as a student.
> Since arriving, I have traveled around the country, including Sinai,
> Alexandria, and will be in Luxor this weekend. With people arriving soon
> for Wikimania, I'd like to take the opportunity to share advice and
> experiences as a female.

<snip>

Aude -- this is super, super helpful. Thank you so much for all the
tips, especially the phrases and advice on what to wear! There's
nothing like the voice of experience :)

-- phoebe

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Hi Aude.

Thanks a lot for this mail. It will be extremely useful to anyone traveling
for Wikimania. I have one question - I am a vegetarian (no meat, no fish, no
eggs. Milk and milk products like curd, cheese, cream are ok). Are there
places in Cairo where I can get vegetarian food? Which traditional food
items of Egypt are vegetarian?

Regards,
Akash

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
I don't know that Egyptians really have the concept of "vegetarian" and
especially "vegan" in the culture. That said, I don't think you will have
much of a problem here. A lot of the dishes available here contain no
meat. Koshari is vegetarian (though some macaroni/pasta contains eggs).
Tamiyya (falafel) is vegetarian and vegan. Other vegetarian dishes
(rice/vegetables/tomato-based sauce) are available at places that serve
Egyptian cuisine. There are also places that specialize in Italian cuisine,
Indian, and other types.

The one vegetarian restaurant that I know of in Cairo is L'Aubergine in
Zamalek (7 LE taxi ride from downtown Cairo). A good place for Indian
cuisine is called "Kandahar" in Mohandesseen (10 LE taxi ride from
downtown). Kandahar is a bit more expensive than other places in Cairo, but
you can order dishes to split among people which helps with costs.

With most places you eat, the staff will know should understand English just
fine. Also, pretty much all places will have menus in English, except some
of the really cheap tamiyya places. Nonetheless, it may help to know the
word "nabatee" (vegetarian - male) or "nabataya" (vegetarian - female). Or
you can say "ana nabatee" (I am vegetarian) or "ana nabataya", "mish akul
lahm" (I don't eat meat) "wa mish akul bayda" (and I don't eat eggs).

-Aude

Aude
Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
I would bring both long/half-sleeve blouses or shirts, as well as short
sleeves. For shopping (dealing with the bargaining and people) and other
situations, I like to be more conservative in dress. But, overall, things
are not as conservative (long sleeves only) for dress as I assumed before I
left.

-Aude

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:36 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Aude <audevivere@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been in Egypt for over a month now, living in Cairo, as a student.
> > Since arriving, I have traveled around the country, including Sinai,
> > Alexandria, and will be in Luxor this weekend. With people arriving soon
> > for Wikimania, I'd like to take the opportunity to share advice and
> > experiences as a female.
>
> <snip>
>
> Aude -- this is super, super helpful. Thank you so much for all the
> tips, especially the phrases and advice on what to wear! There's
> nothing like the voice of experience :)
>
> -- phoebe

Aude
Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Aude wrote:
> I have been in Egypt for over a month now, living in Cairo, as a
> student. Since arriving, I have traveled around the country,
> including Sinai, Alexandria, and will be in Luxor this weekend. With
> people arriving soon for Wikimania, I'd like to take the opportunity
> to share advice and experiences as a female.
This was interesting reading, and a great deal of the advice will be
applicable to both male and female visitors.

Someone who has been in Egypt for only a month is more likely to be
aware of situations that a long term resident would take for granted.

Thanks

Ec

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Aude,
Your tip is really great and helpful for first timers like me. I know it is summer there right now but can you give us an idea what is the current temperature there? Is humidity high?
thanks,
Leah

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Great tips.
Thanks Aude, it's lucky for me to get your tips before the departure
(tomorrow).

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
hey Akash,, I'm egyptian,, & i think i can give yo ua tip about vegetarian food

usually in places like pizza hut and so, it'll be easy to find a
vegetarian pizza or meal,, and u can just order it,, also usually most
menus in god restaurants have an english version, with meal components
written, so u can easily choose a meal

also, traditional food like beans (fool), and falafel (taameya), and
"koshary", they all consist of vegetarian components, and even without
milk

anyway, try not to eat salads out of the hotel or restaurants like
mcdonalds, chillis, or on the run, etc...

On The Run specifically is an American style fast food / snacks
restaurant, you'll find it always next to / inside Mobil gaz stations
(which are a sub of Exxonmobil, they're good, and with fair prices
compared to foreign ones

I think that's it for now..

ah, and also, you can get good vegetables / fruits from big brand-name
supermakets, like carrefour, spenneys (in cairo), metro, and u can
chose the fruits and vegetables yourself

hope you enjoy your stay at Egypt :)

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
temperatures in cairo now are varying from 32 - 45, depending on the
sun and humidity rate (which is really unexpectable),, but in alex, it
should be a bit less, like, 25 at night to almost 35-38 in the middle
of the day, also you can check the weather forecasts on the night news
of 9 PM, they come at the end around 9,30 PM,, and u can also check on
websites like BBC, which are more accurate im afraid :D

anyway, most of the heat in cairo and alex come from the crowd and
traffic, so try avoiding them

plz note that these temperatures are in Celcius

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Aude wrote:
> [...]
> amount to use the bathroom facilities. In places like McDonalds and
> other restaurants, as well as hotels, and certainly places like
> Bibliotheca, you don't pay to use the bathroom and they have toilet paper.
>
> Sightseeing -
>
> I have been to the Pyramids in Giza, Sakkara, to Alexandria, to Sinai
> (St. Katherine's and Sharm el-Sheikh) and will be in Luxor this weekend.
> I don't have a lot of spare time to organize these better, but I have
> quite a few pictures now posted on Flickr of Alexandria and other places
> in Egypt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmf164/ Let me know if you want
> sightseeing suggestions or advice.
>
> Questions -
>
> http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Aude - I have posted all
> this on my Wikimania user page. Please feel free to ask questions. I'm

Aude,

That SUPER useful. And already printed...
I was trying to gather clothes today and wondering between short and
long sleeves... and looking at my sandals with perplexity. Taxi rates
are a top idea as well.

Thanks a lot

Ant

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
I have some more advice as a foreigner in Egypt

I will advice all the foreign girls to wear long sleeve t-shirts to
avoid sexual harrasment and bad moments.
The Alexandria society is very conservative, I have been in the
Alexandria Library wearing a normal t-shirt (because it is very hot) but
I felt very uncomfortable and I was the "center" of attention so it is
better to avoid such undesire attention ;)

Also as a foreigner I always make a deal with the taxi drivers before
accepting the ride, you will see that the taxi drivers will always make
problems because they want more money, even when I arrange the price
beforehand they ask more money. Make sure you tell the price and that he
understand clearly to avoid problems at the end. Some taxi drivers may
even become somehow violent and it is not good. (And I always give them
more than average)

Diana

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
Either way -- short sleeves or long sleeves, foreigners will still be
"center" of attention regardless. If out on my own, I will be more
conservative. Among a group of students or Wikipedians, then I will be more
relaxed about all this. It's also possible to wear shorter/half sleeves and
bring a scarf, if you need it. Anyway, bring both conservative, long-sleeve
tops and short sleeves. Once here, you will find what's comfortable for
you.

It's been quite hot in Cairo (37-40 C / ~100 F) during the daytime, though
Alexandria is quite a bit cooler than that (~30 C / 86 F). The best way to
deal with the heat is to do things (e.g. see the Giza pyramids) very early
in the morning. Arriving at the pyramids at 6 or 7 am is ideal, and be done
by 9 am. Or do things in the evening (e.g. Khan al-Khalili). Also, I find
the heat tolerable if I stay in the shade. Another factor is the pollution
in Cairo, and to some extent in Alexandria. I don't think the pollution is
any worse than Taipei was, but it's still an issue here.

As for taxis, it's best to go in a group when riding a taxi. When on my
own, I have been okay, but will pay them a little bit more to avoid
argument. It's also good to be dropped off right in front of my building,
hotel, or other places which will all have security staff. Our security
staff has come out on occasion to talk with problematic taxi drivers.
Everyone walking away is the best thing to do. What Diana does will also
work. Do what works for you.

-Aude

Re: Egypt travel tips [ In reply to ]
hi ahmed.

thanks a lot for the tips. i'll keep those things in mind before eating. i
had a lot of problem in taipei trying to get vegetarian food. i dont think
i'll have the same problem in egypt. the pizza hut website does mention the
veg pizza. but i would prefer local food over pizza's if possible. :)

regards,
akash