We were discussing in our IRC meeting a more professional and easier to navigate place to present our bid to prospective press and sponsors. Can the Wikimania 2008 website on Wikimedia be opened for all of us to present our big aims there instead of having to direct people to different pages on Meta, which they may not be 100% aware of navigating?

-Mike Halterman
Atlanta Bid

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
I think it is better to open the Wikimania 2008 website after the host city
get chosen.
Meta is a place to coordinate biddings, but Wikimania website is for the
official use of the event.
Since there will be only one city get chosen as the host, I am afraid that
other bidders' proposals on the same website would confuse people.

Regards,
Theodoranian

Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
I understand that, however, my main concern is utmost professionalism in presentation to people we have to convince to help us. To me, linking to a wiki doesn't exactly have that quality, not 100%. And there's only so much you can say before they want to see something, and I'm afraid a wiki page does not have the best statement that it can.

-Mike Halterman
Atlanta Bid

I think it is better to open the Wikimania 2008 website after the host city get chosen.
Meta is a place to coordinate biddings, but Wikimania website is for the official use of the event.
Since there will be only one city get chosen as the host, I am afraid that other bidders' proposals on the same website would confuse people.

Regards,
Theodoranian

We were discussing in our IRC meeting a more professional and easier to navigate place to present our bid to prospective press and sponsors. Can the Wikimania 2008 website on Wikimedia be opened for all of us to present our big aims there instead of having to direct people to different pages on Meta, which they may not be 100% aware of navigating?

-Mike Halterman
Atlanta Bid

Got a little couch potato?

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
Hi, Mike,

Please clarify that to open a website of the Conference is a request from
you, or Atlanta Bid, or Atlanta Bid's sponsor (which needs to be convinced).
Thank you.

Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

On 9/12/07, THD <theodoranian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Mike,
>
> Please clarify that to open a website of the Conference is a request from
> you, or Atlanta Bid, or Atlanta Bid's sponsor (which needs to be convinced).

Good point, THD.
I would like to add Wikimania official website have been always a wiki
- even the Foundation official website is. So you bring up two
different request - opening the 2008 website and opening not-a-wiki
website. The matter may bring difficulty for further organizations
regarding content management.

Cheers,

> Thank you.
>

> Regards,
> Theodoranian
>

> 2007/9/12, Mike Halterman <haltermannews at yahoo.com>:
> >

> > I understand that, however, my main concern is utmost professionalism in
> presentation to people we have to convince to help us. To me, linking to a
> wiki doesn't exactly have that quality, not 100%. And there's only so much
> you can say before they want to see something, and I'm afraid a wiki page
> does not have the best statement that it can.
> >
> > -Mike Halterman
> > Atlanta Bid

KIZU Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

[...]

Check out fun
summer activities for kids.

Wikimania-l at lists.wikimedia.org

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket:
mail, news, photos & more.

Wikimania-l at lists.wikimedia.org

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
You can always turn your statement on its head -- linking to a really
nice wiki page might be *exactly* the message we want to send. It is,
after all, a conference about wiki based sites and about the power of
wikis as a content creation medium :)

-- phoebe

Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
Ooh, I like that! Thank you, Phoebe!

http://tv.yahoo.com/
Open Wikimania 2008 website? [ In reply to ]
I agree with Theodoranian. While the option might be a good one it
should either be implemented before the bidding starts or after the city
is chosen. Doing it in midstream at the request of one of the bidders
would give that city an unfair advantage. That city is clearly ready to
do what would need to be done with such a change, but the other cities
would not have had the opportunity to make advance preparations.

Ec