Mailing List Archive

Wikimania issues
Hello everyone,

I have spent some time in the last 3-4 days looking around, trying to
dig information about what was happening about Wikimania.

First, I would like to say that I am very excited Wikimania will be in
Taipei. Not only because it will be a great opportunity to see Taiwan.
But also because I see Wikimania as a extraordinary opportunity for the
editors to get to know others better. This is already happening, when I
see editors from Taiwan, from Germany, from the USA, from France,
working together to make that event happen.

I have rather little helped preparing Wikimania in the previous years.
But I was a participant. And I had a great time. Wikimania is probably
the most important event of the year for the community. It is the moment
when people can meet and can talk together. This is a fabulous experience.

Right now, I am sure that for some of you, it appears tiring and
difficult. I am sure that you sometimes lack courage, because it is a
lot of work, few people see you doing it, sometimes trying to find a
sponsor does not succeed. But if you look at it, the conference is
getting a little bit more real everyday.

So, keep faith (you are welcome to tell me the same when I am lacking
courage myself).

The Foundation will help as much as possible on its part.

Erik is currently involved in the program. I read the notes of the last
meeting and it looks as if things are moving nicely.

I will have a look on the budget with Theodoranian and all those
involved in it in a few days.
It seems Frances, Tzu-chiang and Alice are working hard on the
sponsorships. Danny from the Foundation will also bring some help to get
some more sponsors. Pyb is also willing to give a hand.
What I hope is that we can have more money this year, so as to help more
people to join.

Registration seems to be the hot topic of the moment. I suggest that
once registration system is open, we could not only mention it on lists,
but also on the Foundation website, and possibly inform the sign post
and Walter from wikizine to reach a larger audience. I am willing to
help you here if necessary. We need visitors from everywhere :-)

According to the website, it seems that venue is having hard time. Would
it help to ask for more volunteers ?
I intend to give you more information probably within 2 weeks for when
the board meeting will take place (probably before Wikimania). But this
is a detail.

I'll try to stick around so as to see how I can help. But essentially,
thank you for the great work.

Anthere
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]
Oh and... happy new year tomorrow to the chinese community !

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:New_Year_Scene.jpg

anthere
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have spent some time in the last 3-4 days looking around, trying to
> dig information about what was happening about Wikimania.
>
> First, I would like to say that I am very excited Wikimania will be in
> Taipei. Not only because it will be a great opportunity to see Taiwan.
> But also because I see Wikimania as a extraordinary opportunity for the
> editors to get to know others better. This is already happening, when I
> see editors from Taiwan, from Germany, from the USA, from France,
> working together to make that event happen.
>
> I have rather little helped preparing Wikimania in the previous years.
> But I was a participant. And I had a great time. Wikimania is probably
> the most important event of the year for the community. It is the moment
> when people can meet and can talk together. This is a fabulous experience.
>
> Right now, I am sure that for some of you, it appears tiring and
> difficult. I am sure that you sometimes lack courage, because it is a
> lot of work, few people see you doing it, sometimes trying to find a
> sponsor does not succeed. But if you look at it, the conference is
> getting a little bit more real everyday.
>
> So, keep faith (you are welcome to tell me the same when I am lacking
> courage myself).
>
> The Foundation will help as much as possible on its part.
>
> Erik is currently involved in the program. I read the notes of the last
> meeting and it looks as if things are moving nicely.
>
> I will have a look on the budget with Theodoranian and all those
> involved in it in a few days.
> It seems Frances, Tzu-chiang and Alice are working hard on the
> sponsorships. Danny from the Foundation will also bring some help to get
> some more sponsors. Pyb is also willing to give a hand.
> What I hope is that we can have more money this year, so as to help more
> people to join.
>
> Registration seems to be the hot topic of the moment. I suggest that
> once registration system is open, we could not only mention it on lists,
> but also on the Foundation website, and possibly inform the sign post
> and Walter from wikizine to reach a larger audience. I am willing to
> help you here if necessary. We need visitors from everywhere :-)
>
> According to the website, it seems that venue is having hard time. Would
> it help to ask for more volunteers ?
> I intend to give you more information probably within 2 weeks for when
> the board meeting will take place (probably before Wikimania). But this
> is a detail.
>
> I'll try to stick around so as to see how I can help. But essentially,
> thank you for the great work.
>
> Anthere

Good message,

I think registration should be done a bit faster, a lot of people right
now need visas to enter Taiwan and for people in Third world countries
it can be a month or two of waiting.

Regards,

- --
Ing. Damian Finol
Ingeniero en Inform?tica
Caracas, Venezuela.
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/07, Damian Finol <damian at igluve.org> wrote:

Florance a dit:
> > According to the website, it seems that venue is having hard time. Would
> > it help to ask for more volunteers ?

Certainly. There are many benevolent people listed themselves as
translators. It would be a time to remind them now they can help the
website development?

Besides that, if Chinese bilinguals (like zho-eng, zho-fra speakers)
help translations, development of content could be accelerated.

> I think registration should be done a bit faster, a lot of people right
> now need visas to enter Taiwan and for people in Third world countries
> it can be a month or two of waiting.

Good point. I assume that was indeed why the Taipei team planned the
registration system to open on February 15 in their first schedule. In
the past two years it had been opened in April, if I recall correctly.
It is marvelous we see how the team for this year conference is
ambitious and tireless to pursue good organization ...! On
registration issue, apparently they tried to do it faster than any
other precedent. There could be something you can help - please visit
the website and seek what you can offer to help.

KIZU Naoko
Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
* habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]
Hi Anthere,

Thanks for your kindly encouragement. I believe with helps from the
foundation and many other Wikimedians this Wikimania event will be more
successful.

> Registration seems to be the hot topic of the moment. I
> suggest that once registration system is open, we could not
> only mention it on lists, but also on the Foundation website,
> and possibly inform the sign post and Walter from wikizine to
> reach a larger audience. I am willing to help you here if
> necessary. We need visitors from everywhere :-)

Yes, I agree.

> According to the website, it seems that venue is having hard
> time. Would it help to ask for more volunteers ?

Yes, I think that would be great.

At the present time Daucter will be the venue manager. And yes we are
looking for more volunteers to help him.

> I intend to give you more information probably within 2 weeks
> for when the board meeting will take place (probably before
> Wikimania). But this is a detail.
>
> I'll try to stick around so as to see how I can help. But
> essentially, thank you for the great work.

Thanks. It will be a really great help to us.

Due to the coming Chinese New Year, we here in Taiwan are having a vacation
for 9 days (from today). I want to say sorry in advance if we cannot
response to you (or others) but we will reply ASAP. You can also reach some
of us by Skype or MSN.

If any of you want to reach me for Wikimania issues via Skype or MSN, you
can reach me at:

My Skype account: ulead_hsiangtai (would be online if I turn on my
computer).
MSN: hsiang-taichien at ulead.com.tw (it CANNOT be used for e-mail purpose).

Thanks, and best regards,
H.T.
International Contact
Wikimania Taipei team

??????? ? ????????????????
http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Yes, and we are trying harder to make it work.

We are now trying to setup the registration site, and we will do it ASAP.

Thanks and regards,
H.T.
International Contact
Wikimania Taipei team

??????? ? ????????????????
http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
Wikimania issues [ In reply to ]
Dear Anthere, and all

Thanks for your encourgement, it's quite inspired before the Chinese New
Year to Wikimania Taipei team.

*>Registration seems to be the hot topic of the moment. I suggest that
>once registration system is open, we could not only mention it on lists,
>but also on the Foundation website, and possibly inform the sign post
>and Walter from wikizine to reach a larger audience. I am willing to
>help you here if necessary. We need visitors from everywhere :-)*
>* According to the website, it seems that venue is having hard
*>* time. Would it help to ask for more volunteers ?
*
It will need more volunteers during the Wikimania to keep the venue and
accommodations working well. We've already began to solicit the volunteers.
But now we have to focus more on the registration.

As Damian Finol said, the registration should be done faster, and we have
into the final test now. We'll try our best to do this.
*
* >* I'll try to stick around so as to see how I can help. But
*>* essentially, thank you for the great work.
*
It will be great helpful that we have all of you the support and give
advices to us.
Thanks again, and Happy Chinese New Year~