Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki backup failures due to mysqldump
Hi Everyone,

A quick heads up for others in this situation... We attempted to
migrate to MW 1.38.6 tonight. Our first step is a manual backup.

We found our manual backup (and backups for the last couple of months)
have been failing (yuk!):

# /sbin/mw-backup
Repair wiki database ok
mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'FLUSH TABLES': Access denied; you need
(at least one of) the RELOAD or FLUSH_TABLES privilege(s) for this
operation (1227)
Failed to dump wiki database

It appears this is a known issue on Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mysql-5.7/+bug/2003866

In our case, workarounds like adding RELOAD or FLUSH_TABLES to the
backup user also failed:

mysql> GRANT FLUSH_TABLES ON my_wiki.* TO 'mwuser'@'%';
ERROR 3619 (HY000): Illegal privilege level specified for FLUSH_TABLES
mysql> GRANT RELOAD ON my_wiki.* TO 'mwuser'@'%';
ERROR 1410 (42000): You are not allowed to create a user with GRANT

We reached our limit of knowledge for MySQL administration. I think we
will have to wait until the Ubuntu 2003866 bug is fixed.

Jeff
Re: MediaWiki backup failures due to mysqldump [ In reply to ]
I don't know about the error message, but RELOAD is a global right. I dont
think you are allowed to grant it to just a specific database instead of
all of mysql.

However the error message suggests something beyond that is going on.

--
Brian

Re: MediaWiki backup failures due to mysqldump [ In reply to ]
Thanks Brian,

> However the error message suggests something beyond that is going on.

Yeah, that would not surprise me. The initial MySQL database and
mwuser was setup around 2005 or so. It probably missed a lot of
improvements over the years. I don't want to mess with it any more
than necessary because I'm not a MySQL admin. I don't know how to fix
it.

Jeff