Mailing List Archive

Trouble setting up Mediawiki
Hi,

As complete newbie to MediaWiki I have some trouble setting up the
software on a Apple PB G4, OS X 10.3.6, php 4.3.4 and MySQL 4.1.7

After completing the setupform I get the following result in IE 5.2 :

MediaWiki 1.3.8 installation
Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...
*PHP 4.3.4: ok
*PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs ( index.php/Page_Title)
*Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
*PHP is configured with no memory_limit.*Have zlib support; enabling
output compression.
*Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
*Installation directory: /Users/admin/Sites/mediawiki
*Script URI path: /~admin/mediawiki
*Connected as root (automatic)
*Connected to database... 4.1.7-debug; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
*Database wikidb exists
*There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if updates
are needed...
...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
contact the database server.

Running setup from within Apple's Safari-browser results in :

Safari can’t open the page
http://localhost/~admin/mediawiki/config/index.php”.

The error was: “bad server response” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)

Do you have any tips to resolve this ?

Apparantly all tables and users were created in MySQL

Kind regards.

Rik Serpentier
adjunct-afdelingschef Informatica
Gewestelijke Directie West-Vlaanderen
Roggelaan 2
8500 Kortrijk
+32 (0)56 23 17 43 (rechtstreeks nummer)
Bezoek onze website : www.vmw.be
Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Dec 3, 2004, at 5:05 AM, Rik Serpentier wrote:
> As complete newbie to MediaWiki I have some trouble setting up the
> software on a Apple PB G4, OS X 10.3.6, php 4.3.4 and MySQL 4.1.7

Unless you really know you need it for some reason, I strongly
recommend you use MySQL 4.0.20 instead. 4.1 is *not* fully
backwards-compatible.

For details and possible workarounds see:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

If you must use MySQL 4.1, you can recompile PHP from source and make
sure you compile it against the updated MySQL client libraries (eg,
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql). You can see what version of the client
libraries are linked in by making a script that looks like this:

<?php phpinfo() ?>

There will be a section in the output on the mysql module, which will
include a client version number. If this is not 4.1.x, you're going to
have problems with a 4.1.x server. At the top of the output also will
be the configure options you can use to replicate the configuration on
a newly compiled PHP.

If you're not willing to recompile PHP (I recommend doing so anyway as
4.3.4 is a bit old and there are both bug fixes and security fixes in
more recent versions: the current 4.3 version of PHP is 4.3.9) and you
must use MySQL 4.1.x, you can try to set it up in the
backwards-compatible password mode. See details at the link above.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Rik Serpentier wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As complete newbie to MediaWiki I have some trouble setting up the
>software on a Apple PB G4, OS X 10.3.6, php 4.3.4 and MySQL 4.1.7
>

>%>< snip
>

>*Database wikidb exists
>*There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if updates
>are needed...
>...ipblocks is up to date.
>...already have interwiki table
>...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
>...have linkscc table.
>...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
>...have hitcounter table.
>Converting links table to ID-ID...

It appears that the output above is not from the initial install
attempt. The problem appears to be the convesion above in an existing
database. I sort of wonder why it would want to convert a table in a
fresh database.
You might want to try an install using a different name for the data
base, say perhaps, wikidb2. This will cause the install script to create
an all new data base. If that succeeds, then it's a pretty definite
indication that the problem is the existing data base. You can just drop
the first data base and use the new one, or drop both and re-install. In
the event that doesn't work, immediately save the output from the new
install for posting. It would be much more informative to see what an
original install produces.

By the way, I'm using MySQL version 4.0.17 on a unix machine.

Good Luck,

Gene
Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]

http://localhost/~admin/mediawiki/config/index.phpî.

>The error was: ìbad server responseî (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)
>
>Do you have any tips to resolve this ?
>
>Apparantly all tables and users were created in MySQL

I have the exact same problem. I don't know what's causing it. The install
works but it is nice to get confirmation that everything went OK or not.

So, when doing installs, I have been using an old version of Mac OS X
Internet Explorer to get around this problem.

Nick Pisarro
Re: Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Dec 4, 2004, at 5:33 AM, Nick Pisarro wrote:
> mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org writes:
>> Running setup from within Apple's Safari-browser results in :
>>
>> Safari canít open the page
>> ìhttp://localhost/~admin/mediawiki/config/index.phpî.
>>
>> The error was: ìbad server responseî (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)
>>
>> Do you have any tips to resolve this ?
>>
>> Apparantly all tables and users were created in MySQL
>
> I have the exact same problem. I don't know what's causing it. The
> install works but it is nice to get confirmation that everything went
> OK or not.
>
> So, when doing installs, I have been using an old version of Mac OS X
> Internet Explorer to get around this problem.

I don't believe I've ever had this problem. (I'm using Safari 1.2.4
[v125.21] on Mac OS X 10.3.6) Under what circumstances are you seeing
this problem in Safari? Only when installation fails? In what way(s)?
Also on success?

"bad server response" sounds like bogus compression or other output
oddities.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org writes:
>> I have the exact same problem. I don't know what's causing it. The
>> install works but it is nice to get confirmation that everything went
>
>> OK or not.
>>
>> So, when doing installs, I have been using an old version of Mac OS X
>> Internet Explorer to get around this problem.
>
>I don't believe I've ever had this problem. (I'm using Safari 1.2.4
>[v125.21] on Mac OS X 10.3.6) Under what circumstances are you seeing
>this problem in Safari? Only when installation fails? In what way(s)?
>Also on success?
>
>"bad server response" sounds like bogus compression or other output
>oddities.
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)=

I'm running the same system but Safari version 1.2.4 [v125.11].

I always get the message for the installation completion page. The failure
is solid and always happens whether the install succeeds or not. It is the
*only* circumstance when I get the message. I never get a failure on the
initial installation form, or when running my wiki. Could it have anything
to do with the version of PHP I am running or zlib? By the way...

MediaWiki: 1.3.8
PHP: 4.3.4 (apache)
MySQL: 4.0.13

I am just starting to play with the phase3 head revision. If the problem
goes away with that or when I apply the outstanding maintenance fixes to
MacOS, I'll post it here.

Nick
P.S. sorry for the duplicate message.--NPJr.
Re: Re: Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Dec 5, 2004, at 1:45 AM, Nick Pisarro wrote:
> I'm running the same system but Safari version 1.2.4 [v125.11].
>
> I always get the message for the installation completion page. The
> failure
> is solid and always happens whether the install succeeds or not. It is
> the
> *only* circumstance when I get the message. I never get a failure on
> the
> initial installation form, or when running my wiki. Could it have
> anything
> to do with the version of PHP I am running or zlib? By the way...
>
> MediaWiki: 1.3.8
> PHP: 4.3.4 (apache)
> MySQL: 4.0.13

Hmm... a few months ago I installed an upgraded PHP from source (4.3.4
has some bugs which I guess were biting me at the time, but I don't
recall which). However I don't recall ever having this problem before
the upgrade, either. I originally wrote the installer on this machine,
using the stock Apache+PHP that came with Panther, and testing in
Safari...

Also your MySQL version is a little old, but that oughtn't to affect
something like this. (You might try upgrading to 4.0.22 though.)

> I am just starting to play with the phase3 head revision. If the
> problem
> goes away with that or when I apply the outstanding maintenance fixes
> MacOS, I'll post it here.

Thanks... If that doesn't do it, try disabling the zlib check or the
ob_gzhandler enabling in the generated LocalSettings bits. Also check
the Apache error log (/var/log/http/error_log) just in case something
horrid like a crashing child process is going on.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Gene,

Thanks for the tip, but...

I dropped the existing wikidb, and ran setup again. In Safari I got the
same "bad server response"-error. I dropped the created database again,
and ran setup once again but with Internet Explorer for Mac and this
resulted in :
>MediaWiki 1.3.8 installation
>
>Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation
>problems.
>
>Checking environment...
>
>* PHP 4.3.4: ok
>* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
>* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
>* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
>* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
>* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
>if you enable uploads.
>* Installation directory: /Users/admin/Sites/mediawiki
>* Script URI path: /~admin/mediawiki
>* Connected as root (automatic)
>* Connected to database... 4.1.7-debug; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
>* Created database wikidb2
>* Creating tables... done.
>* Initializing data...
>* Granting user permissions...
>Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
>contact the database server.

Thanks again for your support

With kind regards,

Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

Problem solved after downgrading MySQL from version 4.1.7 to 4.0.22
Thanks for the support.

Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Does the user MediaWiki is user have permission to modify other users'
permissions? If it doesn't, that's what may have caused it. (Also
check to make sure the connection wasn't dropped.)

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:34:40 +0100, Rik Serpentier
<rik.serpentier@vmw.be> wrote:
> Gene,
>
> Thanks for the tip, but...
>
> I dropped the existing wikidb, and ran setup again. In Safari I got the
> same "bad server response"-error. I dropped the created database again,
> and ran setup once again but with Internet Explorer for Mac and this
> resulted in :
> >MediaWiki 1.3.8 installation
> >
> >Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation
> >problems.
> >
> >Checking environment...
> >
> >* PHP 4.3.4: ok
> >* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
> >* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
> >* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
> >* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
> >* Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
> >if you enable uploads.
> >* Installation directory: /Users/admin/Sites/mediawiki
> >* Script URI path: /~admin/mediawiki
> >* Connected as root (automatic)
> >* Connected to database... 4.1.7-debug; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
> >* Created database wikidb2
> >* Creating tables... done.
> >* Initializing data...
> >* Granting user permissions...
> >Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
> >contact the database server.
>
> Thanks again for your support
>

> With kind regards,
>
> Rik Serpentier
> adjunct-afdelingschef Informatica
> Gewestelijke Directie West-Vlaanderen
> Roggelaan 2
> 8500 Kortrijk
> +32 (0)56 23 17 43 (rechtstreeks nummer)
> Bezoek onze website : www.vmw.be

http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!
Re: Trouble setting up Mediawiki [ In reply to ]