Mailing List Archive

DB-Prefix, 9930 Chars, Hooks&Filters
I converted from CoMa Wiki to Wikimedia 2 weeks ago, try to explore now
Wikimedias features an options.

Q1: can I use HTML-Mails here in this forum?

Now - after having spent many nights I am stunned about the fact, that
wikimedia seems to have not implemented many things yet, that are rather
obvious and that I accepted before as standard for a wiki-machine, having
looked for some.
Interestingly the one-person project CoMa seems to have many features
seemless implemented in a very efficient way, they seem so obivious that I
assume that I missed it somewhere in the dokumentation of the Wikimedia
project

e.g.
a DB-Prefix so that I can handle several WIKIS in one MySQL - in CoMa every
MySQL-Access is started with TABLE_PREFIX to be able to get that, thats very
very simple but does a great job i think.

// load page
if (!$page) $page = $this->LoadSingle("SELECT * FROM
".$this->config["table_prefix"]."pages
WHERE tag =
'".mysql_escape_string($tag)."' ".($time ? "
AND time =
'".mysql_escape_string($time)."'" : "
AND latest = 'Y'")." LIMIT 1");

e.g. the HOOK & FILTER - FEATURES - in Coma you just throw a function in the
action subdir and you simply call it within the Wiki, thus you find many
interesting Plugins ready like:
Polls, Tooltips, Smileys [.not for the sake of smileys but instead of each
time hardcode "[[image:pct_arrow_right14.png]]" to get something like "-->"
Arrow - it would make greatly sense to let that all do certain plugins and
formater within the Wikimedia, that are either or not available in certain
installations, just by throwing them into the directory (and maybe setting a
config-value)]
forms, diagrams, calendar ...

well, another issue: I actually missed a certain discussion to the very
ambitous plug&hooks email last week from Evan Prodromou, is this here really
the developer list?

and finally: anyone has any clue, just any Idea why I cannot save pages
longer than 9930 chars - I asked that question yesterday allready. What
could I test, where to look at - is this a host/server problem or a config.
problem? Can I go back to Wikimedia 1.3.7 to circumvent that?

Tx for reading

HeliR
Re: DB-Prefix, 9930 Chars, Hooks&Filters [ In reply to ]
On Nov 28, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Heli Retzek wrote:
> Q1: can I use HTML-Mails here in this forum?

I'd recommend against it.

> e.g. a DB-Prefix so that I can handle several WIKIS in one MySQL - in
> CoMa every MySQL-Access is started with TABLE_PREFIX to be able to get
> that, thats very very simple but does a great job i think.

This is already in 1.4 (but the installer doesn't support it yet, it
must be manually configured). 1.4beta1 will be out within a couple
days.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Write_your_own_MediaWiki_extension

> well, another issue: I actually missed a certain discussion to the very
> ambitous plug&hooks email last week from Evan Prodromou, is this here
> really the developer list?

This is the announcements and help list. wikitech-l is the developer
list.

> and finally: anyone has any clue, just any Idea why I cannot save pages
> longer than 9930 chars - I asked that question yesterday allready. What
> could I test, where to look at - is this a host/server problem or a
> config. problem? Can I go back to Wikimedia 1.3.7 to circumvent that?

Can you be more specific about *exactly* what happens, what you see on
screen, if anything unusual happens or is displayed?

1.3.8 includes a workaround for an apparent PHP bug which has been
reported by several users. It's possible that you have, somehow, the
inverse bug. Look at includes/EditPage.php and try switching the
enctype attribute on the edit form, see if it makes a difference.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: DB-Prefix, 9930 Chars, Hooks&Filters [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 00:51:40 +0100, Heli Retzek <helmut.retzek@asak.at> wrote:

> I converted from CoMa Wiki to Wikimedia 2 weeks ago, try to explore now
> Wikimedias features an options.

Just a very quick note, to nip confusion in the bud: "Wikimedia" is
not the same as "MediaWiki": one is a group of websites, and the
non-profit organisation that runs them; the other is the software used
on those websites.

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Names for more detail.

--
Rowan Collins BSc