Could someone tell me what ?

Thanks
Francois Colonna
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Nov 27, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Projet OOQCB wrote:
> I type this <math>/int f(x) dx</math> in a wiki page and
> saved it and got the same picture, without any LaTeX interpretation :
> <math>/int f(x) dx<math>
>
> It is likely that something is missing.
> Could someone tell me what ?

You didn't enable it in LocalSettings.php.

Make sure also you've compiled the helper program and installed all
dependencies.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 28 November 2004 1:29 am, Brion Vibber wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Projet OOQCB wrote:
> > I type this <math>/int f(x) dx</math> in a wiki page and
> > saved it and got the same picture, without any LaTeX interpretation :
> > <math>/int f(x) dx<math>
> >
> > It is likely that something is missing.
> > Could someone tell me what ?
>
> You didn't enable it in LocalSettings.php.
>
> Make sure also you've compiled the helper program and installed all
> dependencies.

Yay! that worked (for me, too :)),
however, I'd like to get more information on doing maths in mediawiki, that
is, latex then. As I didn't find much for newbies, could someone point me
please to a nice tutorial/howto he/she knows?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.

--
http://www.winterschur.de/?fey <-- get sheeped!
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
Christian Parpart wrote:

> On Sunday 28 November 2004 1:29 am, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Projet OOQCB wrote:
>> > I type this <math>/int f(x) dx</math>
"/int" is wrong, commands always start with "\", thus "\int"
[...]
> Yay! that worked (for me, too :)),
> however, I'd like to get more information on doing maths in mediawiki,
> that is, latex then. As I didn't find much for newbies, could someone
> point me please to a nice tutorial/howto he/she knows?
So you want documentation for latex - that is one of the best documentated
languages ever - how is it possible not to find something... ?

Probably you want english. So lets start with the "Not so short
introduction" l2short.pdf
Webpages:
http://www.tug.org/begin.html
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/bytopic.html

Hope that helps
Matthias

--
---------------------------------
www.matthiaspospiech.de
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> You didn't enable it in LocalSettings.php.
>
> Make sure also you've compiled the helper program and installed all
> dependencies.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Thank you. Now I did enable
$wgUseTeX = true; in LocalSettings.php

what do you mean by "Make sure also you've compiled the helper program
and installed all dependencies." ?

I also install ocaml
I check texvc as written in the README of the math directory
like this :
from the mediawiki directory I run:

texvc ./tmp ./math "y=x+2" iso-8859-1
I got :
./math/daa63ef966cc412541190bc8794731de.png

nevertheless in MediWiki I get an error :
*Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory): y=x+2
the math directory has the following rights:
drwxrwxrwx 2 PROJETOOQCB users 4096 Nov 29 17:38 math
drwxrwxrwx 2 PROJETOOQCB users 4096 Nov 29 17:30 tmp

Thanks for the help.

Francois Colonna
*

Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:40:55 +0100, Christian Parpart <trapni@gentoo.org> wrote:
> however, I'd like to get more information on doing maths in mediawiki, that
> is, latex then. As I didn't find much for newbies, could someone point me
> please to a nice tutorial/howto he/she knows?

For a MediaWiki-specific help page, try
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula - that page also has some
external links at the end for more general info.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Monday 29 November 2004 6:13 pm, Rowan Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:40:55 +0100, Christian Parpart <trapni@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> > however, I'd like to get more information on doing maths in mediawiki,
> > that is, latex then. As I didn't find much for newbies, could someone
> > point me please to a nice tutorial/howto he/she knows?
>
> For a MediaWiki-specific help page, try
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula - that page also has some
> external links at the end for more general info.

thanks both, Rowan and Matthias;

while Help:Formular is somewhat more direct (what I wanted);
the first one contains a very detailed but yet math-related tex intro;

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
http://www.winterschur.de/?fey <-- get sheeped!
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
07:54:25 up 32 days, 24 min, 0 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.08
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Nov 29, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Projet OOQCB wrote:
> nevertheless in MediWiki I get an error :
> *Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory):
> y=x+2
> the math directory has the following rights:
> drwxrwxrwx 2 PROJETOOQCB users 4096 Nov 29 17:38 math
> drwxrwxrwx 2 PROJETOOQCB users 4096 Nov 29 17:30 tmp

Are those correct permissions?

Are those correct ownership?

Are you running in PHP's safe mode?

Are you running with open_base_dir?

Are those the subdirectories under the images/ subdirectory (or
whereever you put $wgUploadDir)? Or have you set them specifically to a
different location?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
the directory ../../math has not the correct permission
Thank you.
Francois Colonna

Re: enabling LaTeX interpreter [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:42:32 +0100, Projet OOQCB <colonna@lct.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> Thank you. Now I did enable
> $wgUseTeX = true; in LocalSettings.php
>
> what do you mean by "Make sure also you've compiled the helper program
> and installed all dependencies." ?

All the other required programs. Texvc, divips, GhostScript. All three
need to be compiled and/or installed for your platform.

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!