Mailing List Archive

Math Problem...
Hi...

First this statement: I have no shell access..

Ok, I download the TeX binairy from the sourceforge page, I downloaded
imagemagick en chmodded it to 777 (the convert file) so, when does the
convert do its work? I enabled it in the LocalOptions.php file and
uploaded a big image but it does not resize the image.

Also I get this error:

PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex, dvips,
gs, and convert

I have no dvips, and I cannot find it (a binairy)
Gs is in /usr/bin or something like that.

There are files with .tex extension in /images/tmp but not in
images/math

Does someone know what is going on?

Thanks!

Jonas

---
Re: Math Problem... [ In reply to ]
On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:01 PM, Teuwen Jonas wrote:
> First this statement: I have no shell access..

There's a very good chance you cannot get texvc working, without
assistance from the people who run your servers to install the
necessary software.

> Ok, I download the TeX binairy from the sourceforge page, I downloaded
> imagemagick en chmodded it to 777 (the convert file)

That sounds very bad; don't do that. ImageMagick should be installed
into a system directory, generally, and binaries should definitely
*NEVER* be world-writable.

> so, when does the
> convert do its work? I enabled it in the LocalOptions.php file and
> uploaded a big image but it does not resize the image.

Did you specify an image size like [[image:big.jpg|200px]] ? Have you
set the location of the convert binary and properly enabled use of
ImageMagick and resizing? (See LocalSettings.php)

> Also I get this error:
>
> PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex, dvips,
> gs, and convert
>
> I have no dvips, and I cannot find it (a binairy)

It will never work without dvips. You need it installed, and in the
system PATH. If it's installed in a location that's not in the system
PATH, you need to be able to override the PATH environment variable to
include it.

> Gs is in /usr/bin or something like that.

Well, that's something at least.

> There are files with .tex extension in /images/tmp but not in
> images/math
>
> Does someone know what is going on?

You're missing at least several of the programs required for TeX
support, so it's unable to produce complete output.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: Math Problem... [ In reply to ]
Uh sorry, I meant 775 as chmod on the convert file and it's not in a
world-readable directory... (outside the webfolder)

Something like [[image:big.jpg|200px]] gives me an include error...
200px-big.jpg does not exist (yes ofcourse, I replaced big.jpg with
something existing :))

Where can I override the path for dvips? And where can I download a
binairy of dvips, I can't seem to find it...

Thanks in advance!

On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:01 PM, Teuwen Jonas wrote:
> First this statement: I have no shell access..

There's a very good chance you cannot get texvc working, without
assistance from the people who run your servers to install the
necessary software.

> Ok, I download the TeX binairy from the sourceforge page, I downloaded
> imagemagick en chmodded it to 777 (the convert file)

That sounds very bad; don't do that. ImageMagick should be installed
into a system directory, generally, and binaries should definitely
*NEVER* be world-writable.

> so, when does the
> convert do its work? I enabled it in the LocalOptions.php file and
> uploaded a big image but it does not resize the image.

Did you specify an image size like [[image:big.jpg|200px]] ? Have you
set the location of the convert binary and properly enabled use of
ImageMagick and resizing? (See LocalSettings.php)

> Also I get this error:
>
> PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex, dvips,
> gs, and convert
>
> I have no dvips, and I cannot find it (a binairy)

It will never work without dvips. You need it installed, and in the
system PATH. If it's installed in a location that's not in the system
PATH, you need to be able to override the PATH environment variable to
include it.

> Gs is in /usr/bin or something like that.

Well, that's something at least.

> There are files with .tex extension in /images/tmp but not in
> images/math
>
> Does someone know what is going on?

You're missing at least several of the programs required for TeX
support, so it's unable to produce complete output.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---
Re: Math Problem... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:33:04 +0100, Teuwen Jonas <jonas@aesthetic.be> wrote:
> Something like [[image:big.jpg|200px]] gives me an include error...

Would you be able to tell us exactly what the error is? The phrase
"include error" leads me to suspect MediaWiki is trying to use the
in-built GD library (or whatever it's called) rather than making a
call to the external "convert" binary (i.e. ImageMagick as a
standalone program). You probably need to enable the $wgUseImageMagick
variable.

This, in case you weren't aware, is the syntax that makes the image
resizing happen (you asked in your first post "when does the
convert do its work?"; the answer is "when you tell it to"): see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Extended_image_syntax. Note
also that this is entirely independent of the <math> some TeX
here</math> extension ("texvc").

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
RE: Math Problem... [ In reply to ]
I get this error: Warning: stat(): Stat failed for
/home/ae/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/1/1a/50px-Transistors.png
(errno=2 - No such file or directory) in
/home/ae/public_html/wiki/includes/Image.php on line 313

Warning:
unlink(/home/ae/public_html/wiki/images/thumb/1/1a/50px-Transistors.png)
: No such file or directory in
/home/ae/public_html/wiki/includes/Image.php on line 316

With this syntax: [[Afbeelding:Transistors.png|thumb|50px]]