Mailing List Archive

After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page...
Hi, I'm new to MediaWiki and I have run into a problem so I hope some of
you would be able to help me...

The problem I have is that after submitting changes to edit a page, the
page does not refresh to the page where the changes I made. Instead, it
gives me a "Page cannot be displayed" error.

e.g. say the page I am trying to update is
/abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, then, after I submitted the changes,
instead of going back to /abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, I am stuck in a
page /abc/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=submit with the "page
cannot be displayed" error. However, the changes I submitted was made if
to go to /abc.wiki/index.php/Main_Page and view the page.

Has anyone experiences regarding this issue and if so, how would I be
able to fix it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Simon Tse, Webmaster
Laserfiche

Run Smarter

E-mail: <mailto:simon.tse@laserfiche.com> simon.tse@laserfiche.com
Office: 562-988-1688 x 227
Web: <http://www.laserfiche.com> www.laserfiche.com
Re: After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page... [ In reply to ]
On Nov 22, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Simon Tse wrote:
> e.g. say the page I am trying to update is
> /abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, then, after I submitted the changes,
> instead of going back to /abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, I am stuck in a
> page /abc/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=submit with the "page
> cannot be displayed" error. However, the changes I submitted was made
> if
> to go to /abc.wiki/index.php/Main_Page and view the page.

Can you confirm that the web server is reporting the correct hostname?
It's annoyingly common for Apache to think it's running on "localhost"
or a non-fully-qualified or internal-only hostname, and this invalid
hostname gets handed to PHP and we use it when constructing redirect
headers.

Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf, or override the
$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
$wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com';

(You need the http:// or https:// on the front here.) You might have
similar problems if running on a non-standard port over some kind of
port redirect mechanism or proxy such that the web server doesn't know
what port number the clients use.

If this doesn't clear it up, you might use the 'Live HTTP Headers'
extension for Mozilla or Firefox, or a network traffic sniffer capable
of interpreting HTTP (like Ethereal) to double-check exactly what's
being sent between the browser and the server. I find the Live HTTP
Headers extension to be an invaluable web debugging tool, and it's very
easy to switch on when you need it: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
RE: After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page... [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the response. However,

"Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf" - I cannot find the
httpd.conf file

Also, "$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
$wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com'" I cannot find
this variable as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Simon

Re: After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page... [ In reply to ]
On Nov 24, 2004, at 9:32 AM, Simon Tse wrote:
> Thanks for the response. However,
>
> "Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf" - I cannot find
> the httpd.conf file

locate httpd.conf

Typically in /etc/httpd, /etc/apache, /etc/apache2, or similar
location. If you're not running Apache as your webserver or don't have
control over its configuration, you won't have access to this.

> Also, "$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
> $wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com'" I cannot find
> this variable as well.

That's probably because you haven't added it in yet.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page... [ In reply to ]
Hi there!
If you are using Debian, then httpd.conf is located at:
/etc/apache/httpd.conf
and don't forget to restart apache after making the changes!!

You might want to check out a thread I started not long ago about this issue:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-November/002081.html

However, by your description, this does not seem to be the problem
you're facing... either way, good luck.

Roberto.

Re: After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page... [ In reply to ]
Am Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:32:30 -0800 hat Simon Tse
<Simon.Tse@LaserFiche.com> geschrieben:

> Thanks for the response. However,
>
> "Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf" - I cannot find the
> httpd.conf file
>
> Also, "$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
> $wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com'" I cannot find
> this variable as well.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sorry for bumping in Simon, but you first need to find out how to
configure that webserver correctly. If you don't work that out beforehand
you'll face a lot more problems you cannot figure out. And all of them are
not related to mediawiki actually.
Also have a look at the documentation that php and mysql provides. It's
essential to understand at least the very basic concepts. Otherwise it
might be working out as one big frustrating project.

Type http://localhost/manual and see if that apache documentation appears
if you run apache at all, and localhost is where apache runs on.

--manfred

--
http://glassdoc.org
http://glassdoc.de