that the templates directory and the template had suitable
permissions...

Chris Lott
Re: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
> I thought I would get tricky and strip the lines out of the
> xhtml_slim.pt template for the Community Portal in the navigation
> section. Once I did that, I started getting a stream error
> (permissions problem):
> [.pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0
> mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

I should add that I get this when trying to load any of my wiki page...

Chris Lott
Re: Re: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 08:42:07PM -0900, Chris Lott wrote:

> I should add that I get this when trying to load any of my wiki page...

If you don't put more information here we can't help you. make a diff.

ciao, tom
--
== Weblinks ==
* http://shop.wikipedia.org - WikiReader Internet zu kaufen
Re: Re: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
There is no diff to make-- I put the original file back (as I said in
my message):

"This continues even though I replaced the modified .pt file with the
original."

Re: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:39:03 -0900, Chris Lott <chris.lott@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I would get tricky and strip the lines out of the
> xhtml_slim.pt template for the Community Portal in the navigation
> section. Once I did that, I started getting a stream error
> (permissions problem):

Hm, have you accidentally changed the file's permission bits?
Otherwise, I've no idea.

But I wanted to point out that, once you get the template working
again, there's an easier way to do this anyway: setting the name of
the portal link to be empty [""] should hide it completely. I'm afraid
I don't have a 1.3 install working to play with, but although
languages/Language.php suggests you do it there, I suspect you
actually need to do it in the database by blanking the
[[MediaWiki:Portal]] article in the wiki.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
I've tried all kinds of permissions from 777 on down with no luck.
It's very strange. However, I Wasn't able to change the line as easy
as that-- when I set the string to "" I got the text <portal> instead
of the nothing I expected :)

Perhaps I'm not understanding the interaction between the Language.php
file and the Special:Allmessages links. If I set the portal to "" in
the Language file, nothing happened. If I then set MediaWiki:Portal
(or whatever it's called-- I can't look right now) to nothing I would
get "<portal>"-- or I could leave the Language.php file alone and
rename the MediaWiki:Portal to anything I wanted and that would work--
except if I made it blank, the link was still there saying "Community
Portal"

Quite vexing!

--
Chris Lott
RE: messed with xhtml_slim.pt, permissions error [ In reply to ]
When I was messing around with the nav box, I found this site to be really helpful.
http://wise-nano.org/w/Programming_notes

One thing this guy notes is this:
"Community portal and current events can be turned off by editing the appropriate system-message string. The comment in the Language file is WRONG. Don't set the strings to "", set them to "-". That's easy to see from the code in SkinPHPTal. "