Mailing List Archive

How do I .... link to "file://"
I'm trying to build a wiki application for internal use. I want build a
page with an external link to a file (ie a file:// not an http:// link).

I can't find a way to do that in MediaWiki? Is it possible?
Is there some way to get MediaWiki to accept embedded HTML?

This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so. Thank you.
Re: How do I .... link to "file://" [ In reply to ]
search for the text "gopher" in Parser.php, and add a line for the file:
handler.

Also, FYI, if any of your users use Firefox, you must actually use
file:///// (yes, 5 slashes) if the shares are on a Windows network
share. Also, your Firefox users must change their
"security.checkloaduri" setting to false. To do that, type
"about:config" in the address bar and hit enter.

regards,
-Nick

Re: How do I .... link to "file://" [ In reply to ]
On Nov 11, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Edmunds, Dave wrote:
> I'm trying to build a wiki application for internal use. I want build a
> page with an external link to a file (ie a file:// not an http://
> link).

Before you do anything else, make an HTML file that includes a file:
link, and put it on your web server. Load it up in all the web browsers
that you might expect to be in use internally, and confirm that the
link actually works.

For security reasons, many current browsers don't allow file: links
from web pages. It may require special configuration to get them
working, or it may just not be possible.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ

> This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
> If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended
> recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not
> open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and
> notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so. Thank
> you.

This is an open mailing list with a publicly available archive.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: How do I .... link to "file://" [ In reply to ]
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth again, since I am just
starting on my Wiki journey as well:

An other option would be to customize the variable "$wgFileExtensions"
in your "LocalSettings.php" and allow users to upload files other then
the few images and music format currently allowed. Like this

---------------------------- START PASTE ----------------------------
$wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'ogg', 'doc', 'pdf');
---------------------------- END PASTE ----------------------------

They could then use the media link to refer to these files. Just like images.

What do you think?

/Sebast.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:10:59 -0800, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Edmunds, Dave wrote:
> > I'm trying to build a wiki application for internal use. I want build a
> > page with an external link to a file (ie a file:// not an http://
> > link).
>
> Before you do anything else, make an HTML file that includes a file:
> link, and put it on your web server. Load it up in all the web browsers
> that you might expect to be in use internally, and confirm that the
> link actually works.
>
> For security reasons, many current browsers don't allow file: links
> from web pages. It may require special configuration to get them
> working, or it may just not be possible.
>
> > I can't find a way to do that in MediaWiki? Is it possible?
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_FAQ
>
> > This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
> > If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended
> > recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not
> > open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and
> > notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so. Thank
> > you.
>
> This is an open mailing list with a publicly available archive.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Thanks.
/Sebast.

Visit us at http://limpingsquad.kicks-ass.org:8888/
Re: How do I .... link to "file://" [ In reply to ]
If you want to publish files from a specific folder, you could
configure your web server to use that folder as a virtual directory.
Then http or relative URLs can be used to link the files.

-- Zigger