Mailing List Archive

host recommendation for MediaWiki?
I'm looking to switch to a new host.

Can anyone recommend a good host that would allow me to run MediaWiki
w/o making a big fuss about it?

My further criteria:
- All communication should be in English (Host should preferably be
physically located in an English language country)
- Host should embrace a decidedly liberal stance in terms of "freedom
of speech"-rights. (No, we're not talking pr0n, just language.)
- Host should preferably be located outside the US (Ireland? Canada?
etc.).
- Host should preferably not cap monthly transfer or offer a large (ie.
20GB+) allowance
- Storage space should be 100 MB+
- Host should not use .NET, MS software or similar products epitomizing
the pinnacles of civilization (Linux/*BSD/Mac OS X Server would all be
fine).
- SMTP service should be available/part of the package
- webmail (eg. Horde) should be available/part of the package
- Host should ideally offer basic DNS services (i.e. I "bring my own
domain", point it at their DNS servers and am able to tinker a bit, eg.
using subdomain.mydomain.tld)
- Host should be affordable (ie. roughly near the area of EUR 80 / USD
100) p.a.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
www.ropersonline.com
Re: host recommendation for MediaWiki? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 07 November 2004 16:06, Jens Ropers wrote:
> I'm looking to switch to a new host.

I use Westhost for hosting my site http://portal.wikinerds.org - Westhost has
VDS/VPS technology which means you are nearly root in a GNU/Linux shared
machine. http://affiliates.westhost.com/z/6/CD169/

--
NSK
Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org
Re: host recommendation for MediaWiki? [ In reply to ]
I'll give you an account on one of my dedicated hosts at a cheap price
if you want it or I could suggest you get a dedicated host of your own
at my hosting company, 1and1.com, if you want to bother with managing
the server yourself. I think the machines are in the US but the hosting
company is primarily European I think.

--
Michael <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org