info@vaonline.org
http://www.vaonline.org/
-------------------------------------
Re: Database Backup system? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 30 October 2004 19:42, Randy McCall wrote:
> simple utility for backing-up and restoring the sql database

I think you can use phpMyAdmin

--
NSK
Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org
Re: Database Backup system? [ In reply to ]
Randy McCall wrote:
> In some of the other php/sql applications I've been using, they have
> simple utility for backing-up and restoring the sql database
> (probably written for the use of those unfamiliar with the
> intricacies of sql programming/operation like myself). Is there any
> similar utility for Mediawiki?
>
> Randy McCall

Hello Randy,

There isn't such a tool actually although you can use Special:Export to
extract one article.

I personally use mysqldump other all my databases every 15 days or so
and zip / archive the dumps on an other disk.

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar
Re: Database Backup system? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Ashar Voultoiz, from the post of Sun, 31 Oct:
> Randy McCall wrote:
> >In some of the other php/sql applications I've been using, they have
> >simple utility for backing-up and restoring the sql database
> >(probably written for the use of those unfamiliar with the
> >intricacies of sql programming/operation like myself). Is there any
> >similar utility for Mediawiki?
> >
> >Randy McCall
>
> Hello Randy,
>
> There isn't such a tool actually although you can use Special:Export to
> extract one article.

last I check this was a "write only backup medium" since I found no way
to suck that single page back in.

> I personally use mysqldump other all my databases every 15 days or so
> and zip / archive the dumps on an other disk.

I do that daily with my site, keep 6 back "issues" on the server (i.e.
one week) and rsync the last one to my home machine. Better safe than
sorry (and sorry I've been. believe me)

--
Royale with cheese
Ira Abramov
Re: Database Backup system? [ In reply to ]
Ira Abramov wrote:
<snip>
>>There isn't such a tool actually although you can use Special:Export to
>>extract one article.
>
> last I check this was a "write only backup medium" since I found no way
> to suck that single page back in.

Hello,

The Special:Import page isn't finished yet :o)

>>I personally use mysqldump other all my databases every 15 days or so
>>and zip / archive the dumps on an other disk.
>
> I do that daily with my site, keep 6 back "issues" on the server (i.e.
> one week) and rsync the last one to my home machine. Better safe than
> sorry (and sorry I've been. believe me)

Looks like a safe way. You might even want to burn a cd from time to
time to be even safer :o)

Re: Re: Database Backup system? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:17:07 +0100, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar@altern.org> wrote:
> [clip]
> I personally use mysqldump other all my databases every 15 days or so
> and zip / archive the dumps on an other disk.

Yeah, that's what my host will do when he automates the backup process.

I wrote a PHP script based on phpMyAdmin that automates it and outputs
the result. (Basically, I set global variables and included Export.php
at the end. I also changed Export.php a bit so that it will ouput the
raw file as opposed to HTML.) I'll send it to anyone who want's it.
(It doesn't include any server-specific data, but you'll have to set
up your config file first).
Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!