Mailing List Archive

texvc newbie question - Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if I'm doing something dumb here, but I've recently
installed mediawiki, built texvc, and have set
$wgUseTeX = true;
$wgMathPath = "{$wgUploadPath}/math";
$wgMathDirectory = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/math";
$wgTmpDirectory = "{$wgUploadDirectory}/tmp";
in LocalSettings.php

However, on entering some math content into the wiki and saving it, all
i get is the following error message as output:
Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)

I have tried setting the math directory to be world writeable (dangerous
I know), to no avail.

All help gratefully received.

Jonathan

Dr Jonathan Underwood

The Department of Physics and Astronomy
The Open University
Walton Hall
Milton Keynes
MK7 6AA
UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1908 652514
Fax: +44 (0) 1908 654192
RE: texvc newbie question - Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory) [ In reply to ]
> However, on entering some math content into the wiki and
> saving it, all
> i get is the following error message as output:
> Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)

Try using texvc on a command prompt; the README in the /math directory tells
you how.
I had similar problems, and I found out that I did not install TeX properly
on my system. From the command line, texvc runs now, I haven't tried from
within the wiki until now...

To exactly know what the problem is, you need the output from texvc, which
is shown when you run it from the command prompt.

thomas
Re: texvc newbie question - Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory) [ In reply to ]
On Oct 28, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Jonathan G. Underwood wrote:
> However, on entering some math content into the wiki and saving it,
> all i get is the following error message as output:
> Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)
>
> I have tried setting the math directory to be world writeable
> (dangerous I know), to no avail.

Make sure you're looking at the math subdirectory in the upload dir
('images' by default), not the top-level 'math' directory which
contains the texvc source and executable.

If images/math doesn't exist yet, make sure that images is writable by
the web server so that it can be created.

However if you're running in PHP's "safe mode", the directory must be
_owned_ by the user that owns the scripts; if the scripts created the
subdirectory then it is owned by the web server user instead and "safe
mode" is sufficiently anal retentive that it won't let your scripts put
anything else in it. In this case you probably need to create the
images/math directory yourself, and make it writable to the web server.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)