Mailing List Archive

generated links point to action=edit
I recently upgraded my media wiki installation. I had a few problems, but
one of the more annoying is that new links seem to have action=edit
enabled. I've googled, but can't seem to find the solution. Any help is
appreciated.

Christopher
Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:05:32 -0700 (PDT), christopher@baus.net
<christopher@baus.net> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my media wiki installation. I had a few problems, but
> one of the more annoying is that new links seem to have action=edit
> enabled. I've googled, but can't seem to find the solution. Any help is
> appreciated.

Would it be possible to have some more details please? It's hard to
tell what's going on based on so little:
* what version are you running? you say upgraded - what version did
you upgrade from?
* any obviously unusual configuration?
* what exactly do you mean by "new links"?
** if you mean you create an article and links to it still show up in
red, could it be a caching problem (to bypass browser cache, try
Ctrl+F5/Ctrl-Shift-R)? At worst, it's something screwy with the links
table, not updating when new articles are created, meaning they show
up as not existing elsewhere.
* can you pin down the specific circumstances to recreate the problem?
* even better, is your wiki publically accessible? if so, send us the
link, and we'll play around in your sandbox recreating and diagnosing
the problem...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
> Would it be possible to have some more details please? It's hard to

Sorry thought this might be a common problem:

MediaWiki (http://wikipedia.sf.net/): 1.3.5
PHP (http://www.php.net/): 4.3.8 (apache2handler)
MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/): 3.23.58

If I put links in a page such as:

[[meta-wiki]]

Then click on meta-wiki, it obviously goes to the edit page. But after I
edit the page the original link still contains action=edit.

Here's the generated code:

title ="Meta-wiki">meta-wiki</a>

I would prefer the link was generated without action=edit.
Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
How did you get back to the page where you added "[[meta-wiki]]"?

If you used the Back button in your browser, you need to refresh the
page after creating the actual "meta-wiki" page.

cheers,
-Nick

Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
> How did you get back to the page where you added "[[meta-wiki]]"?
>
> If you used the Back button in your browser, you need to refresh the
> page after creating the actual "meta-wiki" page.
>
> cheers,
> -Nick

It doesn't seem to be a caching problem. I used Firefox's Live HTTP
headers plugin to make sure the page was regenerated. Even when the page
is regenerated it still has action=edit added to the link. There seems to
be a problem with logic that determines whether or not to enable editing
for a page.
Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:57:56 -0700 (PDT), christopher@baus.net
<christopher@baus.net> wrote:
> It doesn't seem to be a caching problem. I used Firefox's Live HTTP
> headers plugin to make sure the page was regenerated. Even when the page
> is regenerated it still has action=edit added to the link. There seems to
> be a problem with logic that determines whether or not to enable editing
> for a page.

If you create a page, then add a link to it from one that didn't
previously have one, does it still show up red (i.e. action=edit)? For
that matter, if you edit one of the pages that has these broken links
on (not necessarily touching the links themselves, just making a dummy
change somewhere) do they then render correctly?

The reason I ask is that this is probably a problem with the database
not altering the way it stores the backlinks when a new page is
created; either of these things should (I think) cause the links to be
re-processed anyway.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: generated links point to action=edit [ In reply to ]
> If you create a page, then add a link to it from one that didn't
> previously have one, does it still show up red (i.e. action=edit)? For
> that matter, if you edit one of the pages that has these broken links
> on (not necessarily touching the links themselves, just making a dummy
> change somewhere) do they then render correctly?

They seem to render correctly in both cases you describe.