Mailing List Archive

Customizing mediawiki
Hi folks!

Installed mediawiki this morning, all is running well... the
only problem I have is, that I'm not able to alter predefined
text-parts.

I just wanted to add some text to last modified section at the
bottom of the page...
I opened "Language.php" and inserted some words at line 302
'lastmodified' => "bla bla bla This page..."

Saving the file does not change anything though!

Yes, I cleared my browser's cache... I also had a look at
the mailing list archives but couldn't find any help.

Generally I found out, that Costumizing mediawiki is not
documented very well, though I had a look at lots of ressources.

Are there any How-To documents on doing that? Further it would
be interesting, how to modify the navigation blocks...

Tried modifying xhtml_slim.pt. no effect. Also modified
SkinPHPTal.php without any effects...

It's a pity... mediawiki is wonderful, but customizing should
be much easier!

can anybody help?

kind regards, j.

Re: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Oct 20, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Juergen Jessenig wrote:
> I just wanted to add some text to last modified section at the
> bottom of the page...
> I opened "Language.php" and inserted some words at line 302
> 'lastmodified' => "bla bla bla This page..."

You generally should not edit Language.php. Go to Special:Allmessages
on your wiki for a complete list of customizable UI messages; when
logged in as a sysop you can edit them through the wiki interface.

These message pages are pulled into the database at installation time
from Language.php and *override* it, so that's why your changes to
Language.php are not showing up.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
AW: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Thanks you. Is this some undocumented stuff? is there a
possibility to edit "templates" as well? for example...
how do i remove the "This page has been visited $1 times"
template from the main-page?

is there some proper documentation you can recommend?

Re: AW: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Am Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:45:43 +0200 hat Juergen Jessenig
<jessenig@sofastar.at> geschrieben:

> Thanks you. Is this some undocumented stuff? is there a
> possibility to edit "templates" as well? for example...
> how do i remove the "This page has been visited $1 times"
> template from the main-page?
>
> is there some proper documentation you can recommend?

Just take the original :-)
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide

--tic

http://glassdoc.org

Re: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
What about changing xhtml_slim.pt? I had the same problem in that
making changes to this file did not get reflected. Yet when I
experimented by removing the file or deleting large portions
deliberately the whole wiki failed. So is this also because of
information from the database overwriting things?

I wanted to modify the links on the main navigational panel on the left.

Thanks,

Taneem T.

AW: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
ok, so now i know how to edit for example the template
"MediaWiki:Viewcount"
but... how can i remove the viewcount from the main page
footer?
that's what i can't find out...

tia, j.

Re: Customizing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On 20 Oct 2004, at 20:52, Taneem A T wrote:

> What about changing xhtml_slim.pt? I had the same problem in that
> making changes to this file did not get reflected. Yet when I
> experimented by removing the file or deleting large portions
> deliberately the whole wiki failed. So is this also because of
> information from the database overwriting things?
>
> I wanted to modify the links on the main navigational panel on the
> left.

Sounds like a cache issue, presumably in your browser; I've
(carefully!) tweaked xhtml_slim.pt to simplify the navigation panel
structure, and it behaves as I expect on my install.

Try a few refreshes?

--
Jonathan Sanderson
'If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.' (Pascal)