cannot find any way to activate this on MediaWiki.

Is it an option I've missed, or does it require serious code changing?

Cian
Re: Customising Search Results page [ In reply to ]

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-October/001671.html

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Customising Search Results page [ In reply to ]
On 15 Oct 2004, at 17:15, Rowan Collins wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:01:11 +0000, Cian Duffy <myob87@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Over on the WikiPedia, the Search function gives you the option to
>> start a new page if the title you searched for does not exist. I
>> cannot find any way to activate this on MediaWiki.
>
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-October/
> 001671.html

I've had the same problem with my users; they're unfamiliar with the
wiki concept, and while they're starting to understand the problem of
orphaned pages they haven't quite made the connection yet.

I've basically done as Rowan suggested, but in addition I commented out
the 'Search' button from the main page template since the results page
doesn't trigger the nogotext message. On default installs 'Go' does a
full text search anyway, so I consider removing the 'Search' button a
simplification with few side-effects.

--
Jonathan Sanderson
'If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.' (Pascal)
Re: Customising Search Results page [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:27:59 +0100, Jonathan Sanderson
<lists@quernstone.com> wrote:

> I've had the same problem with my users; they're unfamiliar with the
> wiki concept, and while they're starting to understand the problem of
> orphaned pages they haven't quite made the connection yet.

Have you put links to [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Overview FAQ#What is Wiki?]],
[[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Orphan]], and [[Wikipedia:Help:Starting a new
page]]? That's what I would do. (try [[Help:Contents]] if you have no
clue where)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a thing in
[[Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Contributing FAQ]], or in the previously
mentioned pages, about why orphans are bad. ;)

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!