title=-&action...

Is this normal? I don't have any of these pages defined but it takes
about 10 seconds to make these attempts.
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:04:07 +0100, Paul Sinnett
<paul_sinnett@gamecontractor.org> wrote:
> I've just upgraded from 1.3.3 and I now have a big reduction in
> performance. I checked my raw access logs and it seems that for each GET
> of a page it does a dozens of GET's on
>
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.css&action...
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.js&action...
> title=-&action...
>
> Is this normal? I don't have any of these pages defined but it takes
> about 10 seconds to make these attempts.

Hmm... I wonder if it would be more or less efficient to check the
existence of these in the software before referencing them in the
source for the browser to request. Maybe someone's already thought
about that though.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
On Oct 15, 2004, at 3:04 AM, Paul Sinnett wrote:
> I've just upgraded from 1.3.3 and I now have a big reduction in
> performance. I checked my raw access logs and it seems that for each
> GET of a page it does a dozens of GET's on
>
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.css&action...
> title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.js&action...
> title=-&action...
>
> Is this normal? I don't have any of these pages defined but it takes
> about 10 seconds to make these attempts.

Can you please check the exact URLs it's using, and compare against
your $wgServer and $wgScript settings?

1.3.6 has some extra checks for an Internet Explorer security hole
where a URL ending in ".txt", ".html" or some other "extension" it
recognizes is sometimes interpreted as HTML (with arbitrary JavaScript
execution) instead of according to the set Content-Type header. If a
raw page request isn't coming from the canonical URL it's thus
redirected to the canonical URL.

That redirect might perhaps be failing if you have a funky setting. You
might also try checking the actual headers being sent (use Mozilla and
install the 'Live HTTP Headers' extension for an easy way to check.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:
> Can you please check the exact URLs it's using, and compare against your
> $wgServer and $wgScript settings?
>
> 1.3.6 has some extra checks for an Internet Explorer security hole where
> a URL ending in ".txt", ".html" or some other "extension" it recognizes
> is sometimes interpreted as HTML (with arbitrary JavaScript execution)
> instead of according to the set Content-Type header. If a raw page
> request isn't coming from the canonical URL it's thus redirected to the
> canonical URL.
>
> That redirect might perhaps be failing if you have a funky setting. You
> might also try checking the actual headers being sent (use Mozilla and
> install the 'Live HTTP Headers' extension for an easy way to check.)
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

I'm using rewrite rules so maybe that's messing it up? Anyway the
sequence goes like this for accessing the page "USP":

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:50 +0100] "GET /USP HTTP/1.1" 200 5638
"http://gamecontractor.org/Main_Page"

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:50 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=-&action=raw&gen=js&smaxage=0 HTTP/1.1" 302 42
"http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

then 20 of these:

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:51 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=-&action=raw&ctype=text%2Fjavascript&smaxage=18000&maxage=18000&gen=js&oldid=0
HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

then:

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:54 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=-&action=raw&smaxage=0&gen=css HTTP/1.1" 302 42
"http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

then 20 each of these:

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:54 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css
HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

[15/Oct/2004:10:27:55 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=-&action=raw&ctype=text%2Fcss&smaxage=18000&maxage=18000&gen=css&oldid=0
HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

then:

[15/Oct/2004:10:28:01 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript&dontcountme=s
HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

then 20 of these:

[15/Oct/2004:10:28:01 +0100] "GET
/wiki?title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.js&action=raw&ctype=text%2Fjavascript&smaxage=18000&maxage=18000&gen=&oldid=0
HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
On Oct 15, 2004, at 2:31 PM, Paul Sinnett wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Can you please check the exact URLs it's using, and compare against
>> your $wgServer and $wgScript settings?
>
> I'm using rewrite rules so maybe that's messing it up? Anyway the
> sequence goes like this for accessing the page "USP":
[snip]
> [15/Oct/2004:10:27:54 +0100] "GET
> /wiki?title=User:Paul_Sinnett/monobook.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css
> HTTP/1.1" 302 42 "http://gamecontractor.org/USP"

And what's your $wgScript set to? Is it "/wiki" ?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:
> And what's your $wgScript set to? Is it "/wiki" ?

Yes. It rewrites /wiki to /wiki/index.php in the .htaccess rewrite rules.
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.6 upgrade performance [ In reply to ]
Paul Sinnett wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>> And what's your $wgScript set to? Is it "/wiki" ?
>

> Yes. It rewrites /wiki to /wiki/index.php in the .htaccess rewrite rules.

Yes. That's it Brion. I think you've cracked it! If I change it to
/wiki/index.php it works fine now.