in which it shows the URL of the current page as a link.

It shows up just below the last of the text in an article, within the
article block. She is using XP and sees the problem in Netscape 7.1
and AOL 8.0, whether logged in or not.

I don't see it, whether using OS X/Safari/IE/Netscape, or Windows 98/IE.

Any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Michelle
Re: Strange 'Retrieved from' text in 1.3.5 [ In reply to ]
On Oct 2, 2004, at 7:56 PM, Michelle wrote:
> We just upgraded from 1.3.0_beta4 to 1.3.5. All went well except one
> of our main contributors is reporting that on every page she now sees
> a message of the form:
>
> Retrieved from "http://www.thisurl.whatever"

This is for the printable mode, and was missing from early versions of
the MonoBook skin. It was added back in a late beta version; the style
sheet should hide it from regular display, and show it only when
printing.

> It shows up just below the last of the text in an article, within the
> article block. She is using XP and sees the problem in Netscape 7.1
> and AOL 8.0, whether logged in or not.
>
> I don't see it, whether using OS X/Safari/IE/Netscape, or Windows
> 98/IE.

Sounds like she has the old style sheets stuck in the browser cache:
the wiki expects the text to be hidden, but the old style sheet still
says to show it. You can usually force the browser to _really_ reload
by holding down either the shift or control keys (depending on which
browser) while hitting the reload button. Worst case, clearing the
browser's cache should do it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Strange 'Retrieved from' text in 1.3.5 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:56:33 -0700, Michelle <mme2002@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Retrieved from "http://www.thisurl.whatever"
>
> in which it shows the URL of the current page as a link.
>
> It shows up just below the last of the text in an article, within the
> article block. She is using XP and sees the problem in Netscape 7.1
> and AOL 8.0, whether logged in or not.
>
> I don't see it, whether using OS X/Safari/IE/Netscape, or Windows 98/IE.
>
> Any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

It happened to me on Wiktionary awhile back. To my monobook.css I added:

.printfooter { display: none; }

...which hid it again (though both in display and print, I believe--but then, I don't print from Wiktionary, so).

*Muke!
--
website: http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/
Re: Strange 'Retrieved from' text in 1.3.5 [ In reply to ]
On Oct 2, 2004, at 10:32 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> Sounds like she has the old style sheets stuck in the browser cache:
> the wiki expects the text to be hidden, but the old style sheet still
> says to show it. You can usually force the browser to _really_ reload
> by holding down either the shift or control keys (depending on which
> browser) while hitting the reload button. Worst case, clearing the
> browser's cache should do it.

This was indeed the problem. Thanks, Brion.

Michelle