Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki 1.3.5 released
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
Diffing between 1.3.3 and 1.3.5, it looks like you don't change the
database at all. Is that correct?

Can anyone recommend me a good diff/merge tool for Windows? I've made a
fair number of changes and will make more, and many of them (like the
article/category blurring) will never make it into the distro, so I'll
have to merge my changes forward each time I update.

Thanks,
Chris

Brion Vibber wrote:

Chris Phoenix cphoenix@CRNano.org
Director of Research
Center for Responsible Nanotechnology http://CRNano.org
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
windiff - http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tools/tools/windiff.asp

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:18:45 -0400, Chris Phoenix <cphoenix@crnano.org> wrote:
> Diffing between 1.3.3 and 1.3.5, it looks like you don't change the
> database at all. Is that correct?
>
> Can anyone recommend me a good diff/merge tool for Windows? I've made a
> fair number of changes and will make more, and many of them (like the
> article/category blurring) will never make it into the distro, so I'll
> have to merge my changes forward each time I update.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>

> Brion Vibber wrote:

> Chris Phoenix cphoenix@CRNano.org
> Director of Research
> Center for Responsible Nanotechnology http://CRNano.org

Cory Nelson
http://www.int64.org
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
On Oct 3, 2004, at 9:18 PM, Chris Phoenix wrote:
> Diffing between 1.3.3 and 1.3.5, it looks like you don't change the
> database at all. Is that correct?

That's right.

> Can anyone recommend me a good diff/merge tool for Windows? I've made
> a fair number of changes and will make more, and many of them (like
> the article/category blurring) will never make it into the distro, so
> I'll have to merge my changes forward each time I update.

Sorry, can't help here. If it were me I'd just use the standard Unix
'diff' and 'patch' tools under Cygwin...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
Windiff is a diff tool, but not a merge tool. The most it'll do is dump
the merged file into an editor with !> and <! in front of the different
lines. That's cumbersome enough to produce editing errors.

Google found me a few, including one Free Software project that looks OK
(integrated editor) but has some features missing (Save As, three-file
diff). WinMerge http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/

One that looks very full-featured, but costs $75, is Guiffy
http://www.guiffy.com/features.html

Chris

Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
I here in ConTEXT v1 (coming soon), there will be diff engine. if you
can convince/help the guy who makes it, he might include a merge tool
opperable from the command line.

http://www.context.cx/

-- Jamie
http://endeavour.zapto.org/astro73/
Thank you to JosephM for inviting me to Gmail!

Re: MediaWiki 1.3.5 released [ In reply to ]
I found another one that looks really useful and powerful.
3-file diff, recursive directory diff, smart merge, embedded editor.

KDiff3 http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

The version number is less than 1.0, but I haven't found anything to
complain about yet.

(BTW, Google continues to impress me. I typo'd and searched for
"hkdiff3" and it suggested "kdiff3".)

Chris