Mailing List Archive

customizing MediaWiki's skin (was: newbie questions)
Hi Manny,

I saw your previous email
>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-September/
>> 001459.html
where you talked about heavily customizing the MediaWiki skin.

Did you get anywhere?

Because I'm trying to do essentially the same thing.
I'm trying to fully transition my website
>> http://www.ropersonline.com
to MediaWiki.
Basically I want to use MediaWiki as a Content Management System. I'm
aware it's not strictly built for that because there is no access
control management, but I'd be the sole user anyway. My only point in
using MediaWiki is to stop writing HTML by hand (too cumbersome) and
have the MediaWiki-markup and all its features I've grown to like at my
disposal.

Now I'm essentially trying to get my MediaWiki skin to look pretty much
exactly like my homepage (see above) looks today. I'd want to hide all
the "edit", "preferences", etc. links.
Then all I'd need to do to edit my website is to manually type in
>> http://www.ropersonline.com/Special:Userlogin
and login and start working away.

I know it's a daunting task, especially given my comparatively limited
qualifications, but anyway.

Please let me know how you got on.
Anybody else who's got any pointers/comments -- that's very welcome! :-)

Thanks and regards,
Jens Ropers

There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
ones who watch progress bars.
http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683
Re: customizing MediaWiki's skin (was: newbie questions) [ In reply to ]
I think I mentioned it on this list recently, but I have a page that
should provide a useful answer to your question.

In http://wise-nano.org/t/Programming_notes I describe how I've been
changing MediaWiki, including several skin hacks.

I also give brief hint sections on the various standards/languages that
go into MediaWiki.

Chris

Jens Ropers wrote:

> Hi Manny,
>
> I saw your previous email
>
>>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2004-September/
>>> 001459.html
>
> where you talked about heavily customizing the MediaWiki skin.
>
> Did you get anywhere?
>
> Because I'm trying to do essentially the same thing.
> I'm trying to fully transition my website
>
>>> http://www.ropersonline.com
>
> to MediaWiki.
> Basically I want to use MediaWiki as a Content Management System. I'm
> aware it's not strictly built for that because there is no access
> control management, but I'd be the sole user anyway. My only point in
> using MediaWiki is to stop writing HTML by hand (too cumbersome) and
> have the MediaWiki-markup and all its features I've grown to like at my
> disposal.
>
> Now I'm essentially trying to get my MediaWiki skin to look pretty much
> exactly like my homepage (see above) looks today. I'd want to hide all
> the "edit", "preferences", etc. links.
> Then all I'd need to do to edit my website is to manually type in
>
>>> http://www.ropersonline.com/Special:Userlogin
>
> and login and start working away.
>
> I know it's a daunting task, especially given my comparatively limited
> qualifications, but anyway.
>
> Please let me know how you got on.
> Anybody else who's got any pointers/comments -- that's very welcome! :-)
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Jens Ropers
>
> There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
> ones who watch progress bars.
> http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683

Chris Phoenix cphoenix@CRNano.org
Director of Research
Center for Responsible Nanotechnology http://CRNano.org
Re: customizing MediaWiki's skin (was: newbie questions) [ In reply to ]
Thank you :)

This is very cool -- and it will keep me busy for a while, trying to
figure out things with this new info :-)

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
www.ropersonline.com

Re: customizing MediaWiki's skin (was: newbie questions) [ In reply to ]
I've been kinda thinking of doing the same thing.

I've (relatively) recently got my site online, but it's old and
written in FrontPage. I want to have it make the navbars
automatically, as well as header/footer/etc. I was thinking of using
just HTML fragments and PHP. Using the MediaWiki parser would be
awesome, too.

For me, it would be a lot easier to use MediaWiki than writting my own
stuff. Of course, If I use MediaWiki, I'll probably do that anyway.

Has anyone managed to 'lift' the parser so that it just takes in some
WikiTax and spits out an HTML fragment? w/ an interwiki table, of
course. (Now I know why the structure is so complex. The actual
querying code is buried so deep that the highlevel code won't care if
you redirect it to a directory setup.)