Mailing List Archive

Pretty URLs with Zeus?
Is it possible? Or do I need to switch service providers? If so, can
anyone recommend a good one for MediaWiki, with good support (ideally
phone support)?

Thanks,
Chris

Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Rowan Collins wrote:
>
>> Moonlight Embrace wrote:
>>
>>> My webhost has just transferred one server to another, and in the
>>> process decided to run PHP as cgi! I no longer have pretty urls. Is
>>> there anything I can do about this?
>>

>> I may be wrong, but isn't the pretty URLs thing down to mod_rewrite,
>> and independent of PHP? I understood it to just be interpretting the
>> short URLs as though they were the long ones. In which case, all you
>> have to do is play around with .htaccess until the rewrite rule works
>> properly [again].
>

> When PHP is run with the normal apachehandler or apache2handler server
> APIs, you can place a slash and additional data after the script
> filename, and it's passed on to the script (index.php/Main_Page).
> MediaWiki uses this preferentially to index.php?title=Main_Page when
> available.
>
> In CGI mode this doesn't work, so setting up rewrite rules is necessary.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Chris Phoenix cphoenix@CRNano.org
Director of Research
Center for Responsible Nanotechnology http://CRNano.org
Re: Pretty URLs with Zeus? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:34:09 -0400, Chris Phoenix <cphoenix@crnano.org> wrote:
> Is it possible? Or do I need to switch service providers? If so, can
> anyone recommend a good one for MediaWiki, with good support (ideally
> phone support)?

If your host runs Apache (rather than Microsoft IIS), you can do all
sorts of things to the URLs using "rewrite rules" - although they can
be a bit tricky in practice. Take a look at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_rules for some tips. This
should work regardless of how PHP is installed, since it is purely a
matter of Apache interpretting the URL.

But note also:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
> > When PHP is run with the normal apachehandler or apache2handler server
> > APIs, you can place a slash and additional data after the script
> > filename, and it's passed on to the script (index.php/Main_Page).
> > MediaWiki uses this preferentially to index.php?title=Main_Page when
> > available.
> >
> > In CGI mode this doesn't work, so setting up rewrite rules is necessary.

So, in other words, if your PHP setup uses the magic Apache module,
you'll get (fairly) pretty URLs "for free" (i.e. no work). If not, or
if you want to eliminate the "/index.php" altogether, see the link
given above.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Pretty URLs with Zeus? [ In reply to ]
No, it doesn't run Apache, it runs Zeus.

Chris

Re: Pretty URLs with Zeus? [ In reply to ]
Chris Phoenix wrote:
> No, it doesn't run Apache, it runs Zeus.

I'm sure Zeus has a function similar to mod_rewrite.