Mailing List Archive

Some progress on installing 1.3.3
As some of you might know, I have had severe problems installing
Mediawiki 1.3.3 on a Solaris 9 box running Apache.

I have spent the better part of the evening trying to debug this
problem, and has made some progress:

1) The first problem was that Php complained it could not find
DefaultSettings.php. This arose after I had pressed "Install!" on
wiki/config/index.php . In other words the bug was triggered by the
Eval($local) at around line 370 in index.php

It started to work when I altered this line in $local from
require_once( \"DefaultSettings.php\" );
require_once( \"includes/DefaultSettings.php\" );

It started to work. Somehow it seems like MediaWiki didn't honor the
include_path correctly.

2) My second problem is much stranger(!). (But this only happens on a
host which in running PHP 4.2.3, on another host with PHP 4.3.8 it
doesn't happen.)

I started getting messages of the type:
Can't find a writable temp directory for the XHTML template. Check
that the TMP environment variable points to a writable directory, or
that the default temp dir (/tmp) exists and is writable.

This is probably correct, I have no write access to /tmp, nor is any
TMP variable set for PHP to point somewhere else. Is this needed for
running MediaWiki?

I traced the error into Parser.php, InitialiseFromUser and the line:
$this->mSkin =& $user->getSkin();

When I commented out this line it got all the way through until a
MySQL error (which is not related to this at all.)

--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: Some progress on installing 1.3.3 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 13, 2004, at 10:53 AM, Johan Seland wrote:
> It started to work when I altered this line in $local from
> require_once( \"DefaultSettings.php\" );
> require_once( \"includes/DefaultSettings.php\" );
>
> It started to work. Somehow it seems like MediaWiki didn't honor the
> include_path correctly.

Can you check the path in the two statements right above it? Is it
correct? Can you confirm that all directories above the present one can
be traversed? If not, try setting $IP to ".". This probably will cause
other problems, but give it a whirl.

> This is probably correct, I have no write access to /tmp, nor is any
> TMP variable set for PHP to point somewhere else. Is this needed for
> running MediaWiki?

Yes, otherwise we wouldn't be printing that error message. ;) The
PHPTal template used for the user interface requires a temporary
directory to store the compiled template.

It will attempt to fall back to the 'images' directory if that's
writable and there's no TMP set.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Some progress on installing 1.3.3 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:10:00 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@ikso.net> wrote:
> > It started to work. Somehow it seems like MediaWiki didn't honor the
> > include_path correctly.
>
> Can you check the path in the two statements right above it? Is it
> correct? Can you confirm that all directories above the present one can
> be traversed? If not, try setting $IP to ".". This probably will cause
> other problems, but give it a whirl.

The path is correct. Setting $IP to "." made no difference.

However, by changing to includes/DefaultSettings.php, I now have my
Wiki up and running! Thank you very much for writing such a nice piece
of software.

--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: Some progress on installing 1.3.3 [ In reply to ]
On Sep 15, 2004, at 9:51 AM, Johan Seland wrote:
> The path is correct. Setting $IP to "." made no difference.
>
> However, by changing to includes/DefaultSettings.php, I now have my
> Wiki up and running! Thank you very much for writing such a nice piece
> of software.

Can you provide your phpinfo() output and the initial lines displayed
by the installer?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)