somebody could tell me what that is.

Many thanks,
Bart
Re: Changing the main page title and customising the menu on the LHS [ In reply to ]

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Changing the main page title and customising the menu on the LHS [ In reply to ]
Thanks Brion, that should cover it.
Bart

Re: Changing the main page title and customising the menu on the LHS [ In reply to ]
Dear Brion (and everyone else),

Well, I finally got around to reading that document and trying it's
suggestions. I went to
http://bart/cvc/index.php/Mediawiki:fromwikipedia (obviously replacing
the sitename as appropriate) and found myself at a read-only page
(logged in as a sysop) with "From CVC" on it (CVC is my site name). I
then went to http://bart/cvc/index.php/MediaWiki:All_messages and got a
message saying "(There is currently no text in this page)". Undeterred
I fired up MySQLCC, knowing that the data is there somewhere in the
database, had a quick scan through the tables, and took a look at "cur"
because its function seemed not so obvious from its name. Seemed to
find the main page title (cur_title=Mainpage) and executed the following
SQL:

UPDATE cur SET cur_text="Welcome" WHERE cur_id = 304;

This updated the row correctly, so feeling encouraged I decided to
refresh the main page of my wiki in my browser (Firefox 0.9.3), and
guess what happened? Yep, that's right, nothing. No change whatsoever.

Could somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? (Obviously it's
something.) I'm spending all my time trying to muck around making minor
customisations when really what I want to be doing is filling my site
with content. I'd be extremely grateful for any help received.

Many thanks,
Bart Read

Re: Changing the main page title and customising the menu on the LHS [ In reply to ]
Bart Read wrote:
> Well, I finally got around to reading that document and trying it's
> suggestions. I went to
> http://bart/cvc/index.php/Mediawiki:fromwikipedia (obviously replacing
> the sitename as appropriate) and found myself at a read-only page
> (logged in as a sysop) with "From CVC" on it (CVC is my site name).

If you're logged in as a sysop you should be able to edit that page. Can
you check the cur_rights field, and also check your user's user_rights
field? Might be something weird going on.

Try http://bart/cvc/index.php/Special:Allmessages

> This updated the row correctly, so feeling encouraged I decided to
> refresh the main page of my wiki in my browser (Firefox 0.9.3), and
> guess what happened? Yep, that's right, nothing. No change whatsoever.

The messages are cached. Delete the data in the objectcache table to
force it to reload them (this would have been done automatically when
editing through the wiki).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)