Regards

Dieter
an sorry for the english.. :-(
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Dieter TD wrote:
> In remember of the juni- discussion - the problem is also in 1.3.0.:
>
> The installation script is hanging in config - index. There are no reporting
> from any error. The installation is breaking after 20 s.

Can you please post the complete output from the installation page?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Dieter TD wrote:

>In remember of the juni- discussion - the problem is also in 1.3.0.:
>
>The installation script is hanging in config - index. There are no reporting
>from any error. The installation is breaking after 20 s.
>
>I have not MYSQLrootrights on this server.
>
>I have load from CVS any versions of config. There are a version with a big
>describtion in the last time. I can´t say the number of the version,
>CVS-browse is down in this time. This works to begin the install!
>
>Whats to do for dummies??
>
>Regards
>
>Dieter
>an sorry for the english.. :-(

Mine hung as well. At Checking Environment... I traced it down to a
system function in the install_version_checks() function of
install-utils.inc called right at the beginning there.

I commented:
# Turn off output buffering if it's on
#ob_end_flush();
and everything went smoothly. It didn't seem to buffer the output
anyway. php version 4.3.8-dotdeb
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,

thanks to answer.

The output from config - install after sending data is:

MediaWiki 1.3.0 installation
Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...
PHP 4.3.8: ok
Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. MediaWiki will work
correctly, but this setting increases your exposure to potential security
vulnerabilities in PHP-based software running on your server. You should
disable it if you are able.
PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP's memory_limit is 40M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if you
enable uploads.
Installation directory: /homepages/15/d16081958/htdocs/Wiki
Script URI path: /Wiki

Thats all. No report for any error. I have test it by two German hosters -
Schlund and 1+1. No difficult result. Local at home is running under Linux
without problems.

In the diskussion in 07/04 i have read from problems with memory_limit. Is
this the problem broken the install by hosting install?

Regards

Dieter
Re: Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Dieter TD wrote:
[snip]
> Script URI path: /Wiki
>
> Thats all. No report for any error. I have test it by two German hosters -
> Schlund and 1+1. No difficult result. Local at home is running under Linux
> without problems.

Can you check your PHP error log?

Is output buffering on? Try turing it off.

> In the diskussion in 07/04 i have read from problems with memory_limit. Is
> this the problem broken the install by hosting install?

No, 40mb should be more than sufficient.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
I had the exact same problem, and by commenting this line, the installation
worked PERFECTLY and all my previously mentioned problems have been fixed.
Thank you very very much.

-Bryan Yang

Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Bryan Yang wrote:
> I had the exact same problem, and by commenting this line, the
> installation worked PERFECTLY and all my previously mentioned problems
> have been fixed. Thank you very very much.

I'll investigate this... Can you send me your php.ini file and/or the
output from the phpinfo() function? That'll help reproducing it so I can
add a workaround.

Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Am Freitag, 13. August 2004 22:57 schrieb Brion Vibber:
[...]
> Can you check your PHP error log?
>
> Is output buffering on? Try turing it off.
[...]

I have comment the line. Without success. Install is hanging also.

I can´t check the error log. But I have install a script for checking phps
config under http://www.team-delta.de/Wiki/config/test.php

Regards

Dieter
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
I've attached install.txt.gz (original HTML install output prior to
correction) and phpinfo.txt.gz (original HTML phpinfo() output). Hope this
helps.

-Bryan

Re: Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:41:03 +0200, Dieter TD <holzwd@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 13. August 2004 22:57 schrieb Brion Vibber:
> [...]
> > Can you check your PHP error log?
> >
> > Is output buffering on? Try turing it off.
> [...]
>
> I have comment the line. Without success. Install is hanging also.

I have excactly the same problem. I get a blank page if I comment the
line, else it hangs after the Script URI path: output.
--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Bryan Yang wrote:
> I've attached install.txt.gz (original HTML install output prior to
> correction) and phpinfo.txt.gz (original HTML phpinfo() output). Hope
> this helps.

Unfortunately these didn't come through as we've recently configured the
list to strip binary attachments (we've had a rash of virus e-mails
sending with the return addresses of real subscribed people).

However I'm pretty sure this is caused by PHP being configured globally
to run all output through a compression filter: when buffering is
disabled, the compressed output breaks off there and anything after is
treated as garbage and ignored.

I've checked in a fix to use ob_implicit_flush() instead of
ob_end_flush(), and it no longer dies on my test box configured that
way. This fix will be included in 1.3.2.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:56:57 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> Bryan Yang wrote:

> I've checked in a fix to use ob_implicit_flush() instead of
> ob_end_flush(), and it no longer dies on my test box configured that
> way. This fix will be included in 1.3.2.

I changed the line at the start of install-utils.inc, but only get a
blank page. With ob_end_flush I get this output before it hangs:

MediaWiki 1.3.1 installation

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...

* WARNING: PHP 4.3.2 or higher is recommended. Older versions from
4.1.x up may work but are not actively supported. PHP 4.2.3: ok
* PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
* Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
* PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
* Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
* Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
* Installation directory:
* Script URI path: /johans/wiki
Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure

--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
Johan Seland wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:56:57 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
>>I've checked in a fix to use ob_implicit_flush() instead of
>>ob_end_flush(), and it no longer dies on my test box configured that
>>way. This fix will be included in 1.3.2.
>
> I changed the line at the start of install-utils.inc, but only get a
> blank page. With ob_end_flush I get this output before it hangs:

Well this seems to be a different problem. Can you point to your
phpinfo() output or php.ini?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:23:03 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> > I changed the line at the start of install-utils.inc, but only get a
> > blank page. With ob_end_flush I get this output before it hangs:
>
> Well this seems to be a different problem. Can you point to your
> phpinfo() output or php.ini?

I don't have access to php.ini, but a phpinfo script is available at:
http://folk.uio.no/johans/phpinfo.php

--
Regards
Johan Seland
Re: again: installation 1.3.0. is hanging [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:24:57 +0200, Johan Seland <johan.seland@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:23:03 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> > > I changed the line at the start of install-utils.inc, but only get a
> > > blank page. With ob_end_flush I get this output before it hangs:
> >
> > Well this seems to be a different problem. Can you point to your
> > phpinfo() output or php.ini?
>
> I don't have access to php.ini, but a phpinfo script is available at:
> http://folk.uio.no/johans/phpinfo.php

On 1.3.2 I get a blank page, no matter the settings or ob_{end, implicit}_flush.

My webserver is Apache running on Solaris. Should that matter?
--
Regards
Johan Seland