F.R. Germany, European Union * mailto:t.rother@netzwissen.de
http://www.netzwissen.de * GPG Key from http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
Fingerprint B208 E204 4249 4635 19B9 B691 3E73 C8B9 1229 DE4C
Re: PEAR error [ In reply to ]
Thomas Rother wrote:

> Hi,
> does anyone know what this PEAR error means:
>
> [.pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0
> mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]
>
> I saw this with a fresh installation of 1.3 CVS (20.7.04)

Some PEAR component is having a problem and explains itself in a very
cryptic fashion. It means that your 'images' directory isn't
world-writable, and Apache can't write the temporary cached template
files it needs to put there.

To solve it, just
cd phase3 (go to the base directory where you installed)
chmod a+w images (give write permissions to all users on the directory
--which will allow Apache to create files there)

As an aside, there is also a line that you need to uncomment in the
LocalSettings.php if you want to upload things like graphics to use in
your wiki. These graphics and other files get stored in the 'images'
directory too (which as mentioned above, needs to be world-writable).

Greg

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business
Re: PEAR error [ In reply to ]
Thomas Rother wrote:
> Hi,
> does anyone know what this PEAR error means:
>
> [.pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0
> mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]
>
> I saw this with a fresh installation of 1.3 CVS (20.7.04)

Fix your temp dir.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
PEAR error [ In reply to ]
I ran into the same problem and found the answer on the
mediawiki.sourcefore.org bug list by searching for "pear_error".

The solution is to alter the file PHPTAL-NP-0.7.0/libs/PHPTAL.php
and replace the line:

define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR', '/tmp/');

to point to a new /tmp directory I made within the wiki's file
tree.

At first it didn't work, until I remembered to make my local /tmp
directory writeable...

John Ingleby
************
Webmaster - www.schoolforge.org.uk

Message: 2

Re: PEAR error [ In reply to ]
> Thomas Rother wrote:
> > Hi,
> > does anyone know what this PEAR error means:
> >
> > [.pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0
> > mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]
> >
> > I saw this with a fresh installation of 1.3 CVS (20.7.04)

Brion Vibber replied:
> Fix your temp dir.

Or try using the latest version of PHPTAL-NP-0.7.0/libs/PHPTAL.php
from CVS - I noticed that doing a cvs 'upgrade' from HEAD to REL1_3
made this error appear, and it seems that this is the file
responsible. I dropped the new one in place, and everything works
fine. Is there any reason this revision shouldn't be tagged REL1_3,
since this error seems to be catching out a lot of people.

Out of interest, the reason I was downgrading was that the current
HEAD version doesn't actually render internal links - they just
disappear. Rather worrying that one, I must say; anyone know why it
happened?

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: PEAR error [ In reply to ]
Rowan Collins wrote:
> Or try using the latest version of PHPTAL-NP-0.7.0/libs/PHPTAL.php
> from CVS - I noticed that doing a cvs 'upgrade' from HEAD to REL1_3
> made this error appear, and it seems that this is the file
> responsible. I dropped the new one in place, and everything works
> fine. Is there any reason this revision shouldn't be tagged REL1_3,
> since this error seems to be catching out a lot of people.

Okay, I've just merged that fix into REL1_3. I hadn't done it earlier
since I haven't actually tested it.

> Out of interest, the reason I was downgrading was that the current
> HEAD version doesn't actually render internal links - they just
> disappear. Rather worrying that one, I must say; anyone know why it
> happened?

HEAD is somewhat in flux right now. Make sure you're watching wikitech-l
and the CVS commit list mediawiki-cvs if you want to keep up with
goings-on...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)