Mailing List Archive

Status of documentation
Hi,

I'd like to know who is *currently* working on the documentation for
MediaWiki, and where the intended central place for this is, if there's
na. If there's need, I'd like to volunteer to help out, if I can.

I think, the intended starting point is
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide, but I found lots
of relevant information scattered around somewhere else on the web (e.g.
about importing database dumps), in the installation archives, and on
Wikitech-L, which is not accessible (meaning linked) from the User's Guide.

Also, I found some information missing at all, e.g. "To update from one
version of MediaWiki to another" just says "do these steps...", or the
section about properly configuring the Rewrite Engine in Apache httpd in
somehow short ;)

Last but not least, I think the naming "User's Guide" might be somehow
confusing; to me, this suggests a manual directed primarily towards the
(end) *user* of a running MediaWiki installation, giving help how to
*use* the Wiki (e.g. conventions on how to edit, how to link, etc.).

IMHO, it'd be more clear if the documentation would start on
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docs or
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation; this would spread into
four sections, targeted at different persons: (1) General Information
and Overview (e.g. What is it? How does it work? Who's using it?
Architecture, etc.), (2) Installation and Administration Guide (current
sections "Installation" and "Configuration" [missing]), (3) User's Guide
(current section "Using MediaWiki"), and (4) Developer's Guide (maybe
current
"http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_become_a_MediaWiki_hacker", but
mostly missing atm).

Greetings,
-asb
Re: Status of documentation [ In reply to ]
On Nov 20, 2003, at 08:18, Agon S. Buchholz wrote:
> I'd like to know who is *currently* working on the documentation for
> MediaWiki, and where the intended central place for this is, if
> there's na. If there's need, I'd like to volunteer to help out, if I
> can.

I think maveric149's been working on the end-user docs in dribs and
drabs, but the site-runner documentation isn't being very actively
worked on at the moment; existing docs are sort of scattered in several
places half-finished. It'd be great if you could help out!

If you'd like to start consolidating things under [[MediaWiki
Administrator's Guide]] or such on meta, that'd be a great place to
start.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Status of documentation [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> I think maveric149's been working on the end-user docs in dribs and
> drabs, but the site-runner documentation isn't being very actively
> worked on at the moment; existing docs are sort of scattered in
> several places half-finished. It'd be great if you could help out!
>
> If you'd like to start consolidating things under [[MediaWiki
> Administrator's Guide]] or such on meta, that'd be a great place to
> start.

I started my brainstorming and put some stuff on
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation; there it doesn't disturb
the existing documentation and seems quite logical to me. However, all
of this is just a proposal, of course.

The new documentation will consists of six parts:

PART 1: Introduction - General Information and Architecture.
PART 2: Administrator's Guide - Installation, Configuration,
Administration, Care & Feeding.
PART 3: User's Guide - Usage of the MediaWiki Software.
PART 4: Developer's Guide - Development, Bug Tracking, Roadmap, Known
Issues, (Feature Requests).
APPENDIX: Additional Information.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions.

This is more or less brainstorming and content collection at the moment;
it will take a few more days until I have a first draft. At the moment,
it's just six new pages (e.g.
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation:_Introduction), but I'll
restructure it somehow further on the
"http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation:" stub (e.g.
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Installation,
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Administration etc.), if
nobody opposes.

Part 1 is quite easy to complete, most of it exists and needs just some
rewriting; the features list is from Sourceforge, I think, it's not
up-to-date; e.g. there are still subpages mentioned.

Part 2 ("Administrator's Guide") needs some thought and restructuring,
and factual checking, this will take some time and help by an
experienced MediWiki admin.

The skeleton of Part 3 already exists in Meta and Wikipedia, so there's
no problem.

With Part 4, I definitely will need some help. My idea was, at least to
get a technical introduction to the architechture of the scripts (whcih
file does what, which depends on what, etc.), so a new developer gets a
kickstart; or maybe this should just contain some pointers how to access
the CVS?

And at the very end someone with better English skills should correct my
Denglish ;)

However, comments and any help is mostly appreciated, as always.

Greetings, -asb