Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: We need more interactive content: we are doing it wrong
Amazing work, James and Galder!

Today I was bold, made it fully multilingual and generalized it so that it
can be easily installed in any wiki (Wikimedia or not).
See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:OWID for the documentation
and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-OWID.js for the code
and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template_gadgets for more context

Galder, perhaps you'd like to update the usage at the Basque Wikipedia (see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:OWID) so as to help centralize and
coordinate our efforts?
Some technical notes:
- I simplified the code considerably using the pre-built methods
OO.ui.alert and OO.ui.confirm rather than those complicated (and
unnecessary, in this case) OOUI classes. I hope you like it.
- I wrapped the code with an "OWID" object to keep it out of the global
space and make sure the 'oojs-ui-windows' dependency is always loaded.
- The localized messages should probably be moved to their own JSON file
and loaded from there, but I'm not sure about the best way to do that while
keep it template gadgets centralized at MediaWiki.org, and possibly having
the strings translated by translatewiki.net. Perhaps we can set up a call
to discuss some options?

PS, I enabled the template on the Spanish Wikipedia (see
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantilla:OWID) but we're having some local
trouble with template gadgets so it's not working right now. I should be
able to fix it in the next few hours.