Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Urgent attention required because Commons is blocked in Pakistan
Sysops can set an IP block exempt group for other users (including
themselves) in their local wiki. The procedure is different in different
wikis, but for example, in Finnish Wikipedia, you need to ask for it, and
the admin will add you to the group if you have a reasonable reason, such
as the user is using a VPN. Basically, everybody who has been asking for
the IP block exempt flag is using it well.

However, VPNs are also commonly used to avoid blocking and masking
problematic behavior patterns, including editing warring, ignoring other
users, causing personal attacks, and hounding. So, it is not only about
protecting the editor using a VPN but also about protecting other users
from unsuitable behavior made through VPNs.

Br,
-- Kimmo Virtanen, Zache