Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine's annual report for 2023
Hi all,

I’m writing to let you know that Wikimedia Ukraine published and submitted
our annual reports for 2023.

In 2023 we continued to live under Russia’s full-scale military invasion.
On the one hand, the past year was more stable than 2022, and we were able
to bring back many of the projects that had to be cancelled at the
beginning of the all-out war, as well as start brand-new ones. For example,
we brought back Ukraine’s local edition of the Wiki Loves Earth photo
contest, as well as CEE Spring and WikiGap article campaigns.

On the other hand, the war continued to have a significant negative impact
on the Ukrainian wiki community and its capacity, and as a result on
Wikimedia Ukraine’s work. At the same time, apart from our traditional
programs, we continued work around supporting the community under wartime
conditions and expanded to cover Ukrainians abroad e.g. during our annual
Wikimarathon campaign.

Our full report (in Ukrainian) is available here:
https://ua.wikimedia.org/?curid=9363

You can read a Diff post with key highlights in English (and Japanese!)
here:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2024/02/01/wikimedia-ukraines-work-in-2023-in-10-projects/

Other English-language materials that shed light on our work in 2023:

* Stories of Ukrainian Wikimedians during the war: https://w.wiki/5ZLi

* Our presentations at Wikimania 2023: https://w.wiki/9X3w

* Insights from Wikimarathon 2023, a nationwide-turned-worldwide series of
events for Ukrainian Wikipedia’s birthday:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/03/29/35-events-1900-wikipedia-articles-how-wikimedia-ukraine-held-its-annual-wikimarathon-for-wikipedias-birthday-in-2023/

* Short report from Ukraine’s annual Wikiconference:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/11/08/ukraines-annual-wikiconference-brings-over-100-participants-across-three-cities-and-online/

* Results of our first-ever mass open online course for educators:
https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/10/19/reading-wikipedia-in-the-classroom-in-ukraine-300-teachers-for-now-big-plans-for-the-future/

Best Regards
Anton Protsiuk
Programs Coordinator at Wikimedia Ukraine