Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Mopping with the tap open
For 10 years or more, already, reliable sources have been mandatory in
the Wikipedia in Portuguese, and any unsourced edit can and should be
reverted and the user warned.
Adding to that, since at least 2016, we use the abuse filters to block any
edition lacking sources. Newbies like the one described by Romaine would
receive a daunting red warning from the abuse filter system about the
necessity of adding reliable sources in order for their edit to be saved -
and the opportunity to go back and fix the problem. This has greatly
improved things there, in that subject.

Back in 2009, about 1 month after joining Wikipedia I found myself in a
serious conflict with other, well established users, about a well sourced
edit I wanted to add, which was being reverted by the veteran users in
favour of unsourced (and false) information. At the time, I had to comply
and swallow it, as the newbie I was. One year later, now with a reputation,
I returned to the theme, reverted the whole thing and opened a public case
there about falsification of information by said veteran user(s) - and that
time it stood. This whole episode deeply marked me, and made absolutely
clear that in Wikipedia there can be no tolerance for whatever lacks proper
sources - something we actually often indulge in in paper encyclopedias, in
my own experience. I'm very glad that the era of rampant tolerance with
people adding unsourced content - something that was already against all
good practices back in 2001 - is now a distant, sad memory. The quality of
our Wikipedia skyrocketed since then, changing the paradigm from "Wikipedia
is not reliable" to "Wikipedia is actually quite reliable, so much that I
actually want to be there" all over the Lusophone world - and bringing new
problems of its own. But that's undoubtedly the way to go, and it's sad it
took so much time to actually implement what should have been there already
from day 1.

Best,
Paulo

Romaine Wiki <romaine.wiki@gmail.com> escreveu (quarta, 6/03/2024 à(s)