Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Wikimedia ZA 22-23 Annual Report
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for sharing this report; it is thought-provoking; your copyright
advocacy caught my attention, and I am glad to read in detail your
activities around it because they resonate with our area of focus for 2024
(although not to be funded by WMF in our 2024 Fiscal year).

In 2023, the Nigerian government amended our copyright law ( with little or
no engagement with other stakeholders in this space), restricting our
Freedom of Panorama (FOP) to only audiovisual and broadcasting and
introducing the Data Protection Act 2023. As a new amendment and law, We
have yet to determine its impact on our community and open movement in the
country. So, we are working on an immediate plan to engage this change,
which will set the pace for advocacy in this field.

So, your report is an eye-opener, and we need to meet with your team for a
knowledge exchange soon to learn from your work.

Regards

*ISO*