Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: We need more interactive content: we are doing it wrong
Thanks for weighing in, Marshall!

I agree wholeheartedly that we need to do a proper architecture for a
sandbox for interactive media, that will be safe (first and foremost),
perform well in the browser, work across device types (desktop web, mobile
web, mobile apps), and maintain our key requirements on editability and
reusability, balanced against the security and privacy needs of users if
we're going to invest the effort.

Backing up to do it right rather than patch up Graphs “one more time” is
the right thing, and I’m very happy to see a confluence of interest around
this now!

My hope is we can figure out how to make that architecture & testing work
happen in the near term until we collectively (inside WMF and out) can
wrangle resources to make the implementation production-ready.

Once we have a common infrastructure to build on, it’ll be easier for work
to progress on individual types of media (graphs, charts, maps, animations,
editable simulations, coding examples, etc, as well as classics like
panorama viewers and integrating the audio/video player into a sandbox for
heightened security).

My biggest hope is that we’ll enable more work from outside WMF to happen –
letting volunteers and other orgs who might have their own specialty areas
and work funding to progress without every change being a potential new
security risk.

When we have succeeded in the past, we have succeeded by making tools that
other people can use as their own basis to build their own works. I’m
confident we can get there on interactive media with some common focus.

Let's all try to capture some of this momentum while we've got it and set
ourselves up for success down the road.

– b