Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Arabic Wikipedia day of action
This seems interesting at best when you provide links to articles in the
Arabic statement and did not do so at the translated statement in English.
The intention seems more interesting when there are no discussions and/or
something similar to a media pack/explanation note for an act of this size.

I don't know if the Human Rights and/or the Advocacy Team was notified or
involved in this, but the execution needs to be improved.

When you would want carry out advocacy right then there should be a call to
action for what readers should do if they support the cause, an article or
a letter explaining to the affected why this needs to be done (the "Stop
Genocide/War" slogan is not enough), and a page documenting all these
documents and/or further readings. Slapping a shutdown notice on the main
page + a banner (that is basically the same) does not serve this purpose
for rallying support for your cause.

Undeniably, to execute this closure requires a major support from the
members of the community, but the current form seems to be executed in a
way that will not generate the publicity it deserves (even if you
support/oppose the shutdown).

(Note: this War and all the atrocity should and must end as soon as
possible (preferably with an executable plan for lasting peace) and the
perpetrators should be investigated and prosecuted while the affected
should be compensated, and all should mourn the innocent lives lost)

Regards,
William